Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile light bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low profile light bar

I thought I would post some pics of what I did with a low profile lights bar. It is connected to the roof rails so my basket can come off. I wanted something that would look close to stock, have little wind noise, and have little effect on gas mileage (when the basket is off). My inspiration came from the last Bond Rover.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Drifting
Old 10-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

all you're missing is the model in the last picture

Old 10-30-2018, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Looks awesome! How’d you do it?!

Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Disco5fl, are you referring to the light bar? Mounting? Wiring? I can go into detail if I knew what you were after.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Primarily mounting. Thanks! Which size bar is that?

Old 10-31-2018, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

@MudDisco - how do you like the Kuat basket? I’m thinking about getting one. Is it the Vagabond X? Are you thinking about running boards to reach it without having to have the door open?

Last edited by BchBum11511; 10-31-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

@MudDisco, I'd definitely like to know how you mounted and wired it, as well as which light bar you went with.

Thanks. It looks great.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:18 AM
Drifting

Bchbum, I love the rack, primarily due to the integrated bike mounts. It is tall though so access from a running board is not that likely. The door sills sit a few inches higher which I need to unlock, lift and clamp my bike in place. I'm 6'2" so I image it would be the same for most. To be honest I can't remember the model, it was an outgoing one that did not have the optional extension. I chose it because it was almost as long as the newer one with extension and got a killer deal. I originally thought I would just add a hitch ( for a bike mount ) for a couple hundred but got the sticker shock of 2 grand.

Things to consider if going this route:
- roof rack and cages are not silent, if you like silence on the highway, it will not be.
- height, it adds a lot to the vehicle, I almost need access height to park in the garage. If there is ice, I will.
- this rack is not Aluminum, if I had preference I would pick that due to weight and corrosion ( yet to see any )
- it is a great place to put dirty gear, bikes etc.
- fuel economy will change by about 4%

I will post more pics later today of the rack and light setup

Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MudDisco
Bchbum, I love the rack, primarily due to the integrated bike mounts. It is tall though so access from a running board is not that likely. The door sills sit a few inches higher which I need to unlock, lift and clamp my bike in place. I'm 6'2" so I image it would be the same for most. To be honest I can't remember the model, it was an outgoing one that did not have the optional extension. I chose it because it was almost as long as the newer one with extension and got a killer deal. I originally thought I would just add a hitch ( for a bike mount ) for a couple hundred but got the sticker shock of 2 grand.

Things to consider if going this route:
- roof rack and cages are not silent, if you like silence on the highway, it will not be.
- height, it adds a lot to the vehicle, I almost need access height to park in the garage. If there is ice, I will.
- this rack is not Aluminum, if I had preference I would pick that due to weight and corrosion ( yet to see any )
- it is a great place to put dirty gear, bikes etc.
- fuel economy will change by about 4%

I will post more pics later today of the rack and light setup
Thanks for that info! I’ve been going back and forth on whether I want my Disco to have an off-road look. This will be my daily driver on the interstate. Plus, I have a wrangler I already have lifted/outfitted. I like the idea/look with the basket but don’t want to hassle with garage height, noise, etc.

Quick Reply: Low profile light bar