New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discovery Owner (July 7th)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another observation I'll have to have checked is DEF consumption. I'm using a gallon about every 500 miles on this trip. The TDI was more like a gallon every 2500 miles. I have read that there is an update for a related problem so will have that checked.

Otherwise, running great so far!

Old 08-24-2017, 01:41 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought my 2017 loaded Discovery 5 Diesel today. loaded with every single option, it came to $75,530 which is way more then my 2012 LR4 which I paid $57,250 for new. But, (my wife drove it home) and she likes it. I'm keeping my 2012 for actual offload stuff with the 18 inch comp motives and skid plates and .... many other things... but despite my initial disgust with the Ford Explorer look to the body, it's growing on me and it is what it is, so I'm happy with my first day on the new one.

LR4 has 94,000 miles now, and I'm now on my 5th Rover. I've done MOAB and RUBICON with previous ones, so I use them.... this Disco 5 though, I'll likely wait until I break it in, and after market parts come out and I wear out the first set of tires, then I'll ****can the 21 inch rims, drop to 19's and put real tires on it and skid plates and full roof rack and head to the mountains for awesome fun. Until then, I'll use my LR4

Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 603 Likes on 364 Posts

I've heard that the Discovery 5 wheels have the same bolt pattern as the LR4 (5 x 120). Since the D5 catalog shows a 19" wheel option, I presume a 19" wheel clears the D5 brake rotors.

But is the D5 offset different from the LR4 offset? I'm hoping it's not too much of a difference as I have 3 sets of 19" LR4 wheels (highway, offroad & winter tires) that I'd like to use when I order a new D5.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Well. I'm ready to return the Discovery. I'm done. Drove it today during the day. Tonight. I looked outside and saw lights. Went out and saw that the tail lights and license plate lights were on. Not something I can even control. So tried to start the car. Dead battery. So I'm done. Called the dealer and returning the car. Can't work with a car that you can't rely on

Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Dealer is looking into the problem. No solution yet. So odd that the manual and LR roadside assistance said that if you have a dead battery, or need to refill DEF, you have to go to a dealer! I got this car partially because of the off road brand reputation and I spend a lot of time in Wyoming, 300 miles from any dealer.
I must say LR has been very good at being supportive at the time of obvious frustration above. Would have trucked the car to my Chicago dealer at no charge. I was able to get the car going on my own so wasn't necessary but the response and support has been great.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 AM
5th Gear
Default Serious Electrical Issue

Originally Posted by FormerTouaregFan
Dealer is looking into the problem. No solution yet. So odd that the manual and LR roadside assistance said that if you have a dead battery, or need to refill DEF, you have to go to a dealer! I got this car partially because of the off road brand reputation and I spend a lot of time in Wyoming, 300 miles from any dealer.
I must say LR has been very good at being supportive at the time of obvious frustration above. Would have trucked the car to my Chicago dealer at no charge. I was able to get the car going on my own so wasn't necessary but the response and support has been great.
I have had a serious electrical issue with under 600 miles. First, when the car was 11 days old, it went to get detailed at the dealership. When driving out of the dealership, a red triangle warning light came on that said "restricted maneuver" so I went straight to the dealership and it couldn't replicate. Turned car off and on, did this a few times, cars fine.

Fast forward a few days, and with 575 miles, went outside, started disco 5 and the shifter didn't raise up, car started, had no A/C blowing, and the "depress break press start/stop" icon came up in the center control panel. Bit the car was started, and the shifter wouldn't raise. So I used two fingers and spun the shifter into gear. Backed out of the garage, and at the end of my driveeay, spun it into drive, from reverse, and had absolutely zero power steering. You can't drive modern cars without power steering... way to impossible to turn at slow speeds... so I pit it back into drive and straight back into the driveway.

Started and stopped it 4 times, same issue. Called the dealership and then Land Rover Roadside assist to have my $75,000 Discovery 5 towed. Well after half hour, while waiting for the tow truck, I went out and it starts fine... so I drove it straight to the dealership.

They said it threw no codes and they can't replicate it so they are calling the factory for a technical advisory opinion.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Wow. Pretty crazy.
Mine is back at the dealer again for the return of the surge / engine cutoff problem. Was there several days 2 weeks ago at which they thought they fixed it. Now back again. With free loaners I'm fine with it and since I know all about early products having issues, I'm willing to be patient as long as they are working on things seriously. The dealer has been great in letting me deal with the lead mechanic and being filled in on what the factory response has been. The factory has been good with response as well. They all say 'this car is brand new so we are learning too" and I very much appreciate the candor. This car isn't just a flavor of some other of theirs and even the parts that are shared, have different tweaks. The engine is used in other vehicles, but the mechanic himself says he doesn't know why it has such an entirely different engine computer tune.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling

What the factory is saying is that the max biodiesel the car engine can handle is 12% and that that could be the problem. And that the problem is more common in the Midwest US. All the pumps here say the range is 5-20 so that is the current problem. Limited availability of fuel for the car!

Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 AM
Drifting

In a similar boat: Selling our Q7 TDI back to VW/Audi as part of the diesel emissions settlement and buying a 2017 Discovery HSE. I also enjoyed the Q7 (other than the whole part about false diesel emissions claims) but have been pleasantly suprised by the 2017 Discovery's total package of off-road and towing capability, power, handling and looks. Will hopefully arrive in a couple of months.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:15 AM
Three Wheeling

So far, as long as I don’t use the typical diesel that is available in Illinois that is marked “5-20% biodiesel “ I have not had the engine cutting out problem. The dealer has no response as to what Land Rover is going to do to help and warn customers that you have to drive to special non-biodiesel stations to buy more expensive fuel. For myself, it’s a 40 mile round trip to the nearest station. I feel this should be part of the pre-sales information so consumers know but I’m guessing Land Rover Marketing will make sure dealers keep this quiet. Unfortunate.

The latest new problem is the center screeen stops working intermittently. Radio does work but can’t control it and you lose the backup cameras and all the other functions controlled by the touch screen. Will have to take it in again.

It is a nice car for sure. But so far it has been in the shop for about 1 month out of the 5 we’ve owned it.

Quick Reply: New Discovery Owner (July 7th)