Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine noise/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default New engine noise/rattle

Seems louder on the passenger side, I’m wondering if it’s from the supercharger or something?

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 04-18-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Yikes . . . does not sound good. Thing running OK otherwise? No codes, etc?

Old 04-19-2021, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling

No codes, rev counter is smooth (although fake screen based one these days), plenty of power, no weird behavior. Oil as close to max level as you can get.
I wouldn’t have noticed it if I hadn’t opened the hood to refill the washer fluid...
This is cold startup, maybe 3 mins in.
It does get quieter when warm but still there.

Thus was also the first day I saw a warning that battery was low as soon as I got in the vehicle so I don’t know if it’s related...

I emailed the video to my service advisor, I’ll see what he says. I’ll also pop out and check if it’s still doing it...

EDIT: Still doing it, so definitely going to be taking it in as I’m going on a 4-5k mile road trip with it in less than 4 weeks time (well, I hope I am).

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 04-19-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Good luck! The ticking sound is quite normal and I hear that loudly on mine too. But the rattle is very noticeable. Hard to tell on video but sounds more like something loose outside the engine rattling vs the engine itself. But hard to know on a recording. Hopefully just something in the engine bay that's a bit loose.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling

That’s the hope...

I dropped it off this afternoon but they’re backed up so it’ll be several days if not a week before they even diagnose it.
Naturally when I got there the engine was thoroughly warmed up, smooth and quiet except for the rhythmic tick of the injectors. I showed the advisor the video though...

Old 04-21-2021, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Already at the shop, but I would pop off the big plastic cover to see if the sound is more pronounced and visually inspect to see if anything seems loose.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Good advice, I did actually pop it off and didn’t seem to make much difference to the sound, maybe easier to hear or maybe in my head.
Nothing loose I could find.

Was perfectly smooth and quiet when it had warmed up by the time I got there so whatever it is it’s cold start related.
Personally I’m wondering about timing chains or the supercharger even though most likely it’s just something loose...

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 04-21-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Got a phone call this afternoon from the service advisor to say that they had cold soaked and started it up each day and they were accompanied by a tech on two of those days who said it was all normal and they’re just very clackety sounding engines on cold start. On the third day he did the same with the service dept manager who said the same. So their opinion is there’s nothing wrong with it.
They’re going to do it again on Monday but other than that...
So when I pick up up I’m going to ask them to fire up a cold Discovery Si6 on the lot and if it sounds the same then so be it I suppose.
On the plus side it means my big road trip doesn’t need to be postponed while they tear the engine apart, but on the flip side if the engine experiences a related problem on said trip I’m going to be furious...

Also heard about a recall on the wife’s 2020 Kia that’s coming up that may involve a new engine so it seems life is telling me to go electric next time..

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 04-23-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Did they reproduce the sound that you heard in your video. Yes - they are noisy and clattery and that's normal. I asked them the same about mine. But yours seems to have a separate vibration noise coming on and off irregularly that isn't the normal engine clatter. Sounds like a loose plastic piece vibrating. Doesn't sound normal to me...

Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Perhaps not, hard to say.
Whenever they ask me to pick it up I will insist it is parked out front ready and thus cold when I do vs being brought over by the valet. And I want to hear it there with them AND hear a cold Si6 on the lot to compare because yes, that irregular plastic clacking sound which sound like something plastic vibrating (whether externally or more worryingly inside the engine) is not right imho.
The rhythmic clatter of the injection system is fine.

Quick Reply: New engine noise/rattle