New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine noise/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

This is normal? That's noisier than our TD6.

Oh well, glad to know it ain't serious!

Old 04-25-2021, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Well I have a 2 week road trip coming up with a few thousand miles to do so if it’s just something loose I don’t want it to get more so and fall off and cause some problem, and if it’s something more internal and mechanical that might leave us stranded well that’s obviously even worse...
Of course there’s every possibility that they haven’t actually heard it because it’s being stubborn and not doing it when they fire it up cold, such is the way with vehicles. Although it did it on 2 consecutive days when I tried...
I’m convinced it wasn’t there before last weekend as I would have noticed. Granted it’s a lot quieter with the hood down and me in the vehicle so maybe it has always done it. But I still don’t believe it’s normal.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 04-25-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

No progress yet, they still say it's normal.
I sent them my video on the off-chance it isn't doing it when they are testing it (unlikely but giving the tech the benefit of the doubt).

I found 2 ppl on disco5 forum that have the same issue.
On one they replaced the idler puller and belt and the sound went away but came back in a few days.
For the 2nd guy they just said it's normal.

No-one is happy with that answer though.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I thought this was the disco5 forum. What is the other one you found?

Old 05-03-2021, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Old 05-03-2021, 09:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Picked up the vehicle today, nothing done, no unusual sound heard by the techs.
Had a long chat with the advisor and his gut feeling, especially given the thread on disco5 re the tensioner, is that it may be related to the hydraulic system that powers said system and relies on oil pressure. His thought is that there isn’t enough pressure in the system on cold start after a long time of no use due to viscosity and after you drive it a bit to get some heat and pressure into the system it works correctly. i.e. if you leave it just idling it takes ages to sort itself out, but if you drive it it quietness down much quicker.

He claims it’s not an issue he’s run into on this engine before, beyond neglected engines with plenty of miles, so he’s wondering if the Covid lockdown (I only put 1,000 miles on it the last 6 months by taking it out every couple of weeks) is causing the problem and so we’re wondering if my upcoming 4K in 2 weeks trip may sort of out, or at the very least I won’t hear it doing it much if at all when the vehicle is being regularly used. So it’s a bit of an experiment… he says they have seen a few new issues across most of the vehicles due to lack of use during Covid and wonders if this may be one of them. I’m not entirely convinced but it is plausible.

He also says it may just always do it but he doesn’t think it’s indicative of some catastrophic failure or anything, not does he think there is anything wrong with my oil or any sludge in just 18months and 4K miles with 1 oil change done.

So I’ll be interested to see how this progresses and I’ll be keeping and eye on this and the other forum to see if anyone else gets anything more definitive.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 05-03-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

The tensioner he refers to must not be the idler belt tensioner as that is not hydraulic.
Is it the timing chain tensioner? A little bit more concerning.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling

I’m assuming the timing chain as I imagine the accessory belt tensioner is spring loaded?
And that’s been my concern from the beginning however we’re both just guessing it’s hydraulic related, we just don’t know…

Old 05-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was a frequent problem with the V8s in LR4s and Range Rover Sports (late model Jags too).

Old 05-05-2021, 02:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jhartz
This was a frequent problem with the V8s in LR4s and Range Rover Sports (late model Jags too).
On low mileage (in my car sub 4K) examples as well?
I’ve found reference to mainly pre 2013 models with much more mileage too…

Quick Reply: New engine noise/rattle