New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new owner of a 2018 CPO Discovery! I combed through these forums for 2-3 days and there is great info here. Although I did everything backwards...pulled the trigger and then read the forums only to create a tremendous sense of buyer's remorse due to some of the repeated issues. But then I realized that it happens with most high end vehicles. This model maybe a bit more ;-). I did confirm with the dealer and checked all records to the software updates etc so I don't have the lagging issue. Only concern now is the potential of leaking windshield but I have seen no evidence of that to date. Anyway, 2018 CPO HSE with 17,XXX miles on it. Sits on 21s (not sure how I feel about that). Only gripe is that it doesn't have heated seats...then again, we are in south TX so I'm not too overly concerned. It was down to this and the Q7...and this one just did it. Driver's seating position, space for the second row and the trunk for our 85 lb GSD is perfect.

The following users liked this post:
Scientific (12-22-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Welcome. Any plans for it? We looked at q7s, aviator, qx60, qx80, mx9, lx, gx and I started with the disco for first look... and we kept coming back to it... woulda probably been aviator if the "getting back to offroad" hadn't been a factor... the disco was emotionally best to us. Q7 wasn't bad at all but was just kind of "blah".

Old 09-11-2020, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure yet. I'm enjoying the look and feel of it now. My wife will drive it for the next couple of months until she can get her vehicle. More urban jungle wagon for now. BUT...I do want to venture off-road. Will need to get off the 21s for sure. I definitely like the look of the trek edition I have seen. But that probably won't be till next year. I honestly thought the Q7 was it, despite the looks. We had a diesel X5 about 10 years ago and I loved the pull...but it was in the shop A LOT. We were also looking at a GLS450 but that felt more like a land yacht. New Tahoes are just ugly. QX80 was on the short list but both my wife and I like this much more. Having the ability to raise/lower from the back was huge given our dog. So far after 24 hrs...love it. Now we'll see about the next 50,000+ hrs :-)

Old 09-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats and welcome! Looks like mine - also a 2018 in silicon silver
If you want to swap to 20inch you can usually get a set of takeoffs from a new LR on eBay or similar.

We've had it 2 years (from new) and 35,000 miles. A few irritations early on like the power lag but all fixed with software patches
Finally had the dreaded leaky windscreen a couple of months ago but the backlog of delays is all cleared so it was a quick in and out

Been 100pc reliable mechanically. Software can be a bit clunky.

Happy motoring!

Noodlebake (09-14-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 12:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

And my horror story is a dealer that cannot fix the "one" problem we have had. So, you have to take some of what you read with some salt.

We have had 2 problems but the other is just an inconvenience thing.

Welcome, and good luck.

Noodlebake (09-14-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I found the Audi to be.... meh....

I’ve never found a Japanese. While I like, mainly due to uninspired (or even plain ugly) styling inside and out and full to drive but that’s just me, plenty of people like them just for the reliability factor which of course has a knock on effect with residuals.

I’d never buy a premium/luxury American vehicle (although I have in the past) as frankly the US automakers don’t know how to do premium. Just making it bigger and adding plasti-chrome trim and even decent leather on the seats is no good when the rest of the plastics feel like recycled solo cups and everything has a tinny sound when you knock it....
Yes I know they’re much better than they used to be but you’re not going to think you’re sitting on a Mercedes or a Range Rover when you get into an Aviator. Especially when you start tapping on or pushing stuff.

I’ve always been anti Land Rover due to reliability issues but I admit I’ve always been lured by them regardless as they have character and feel special, something hard to find these days. Touch wood mine has been fine so far except for a check engine/brake light one which a software update seems to have fixed.

Noodlebake (09-14-2020)