Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak 2017 td6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 10:42 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Leak 2017 td6

I just hit 83k miles with no major issues, and a few days ago I noticed oil drips under the vehicle. I removed the belly pan, and there was quite a bit of oil, but after topping it off and another couple of days of observation, it's not big leak, but it's not tiny either. I lifted it up on jack stands and spent some time underneath, but I wasn't able to pinpoint where it was coming from. I was hoping someone here could point me in a direction as to common failures. I remember seeing something about the rear main seal but can't find the info. The leak seems to be on the passenger side, rear of the engine, with the belly pan removed. TIA

Old 09-26-2023, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by geekinc
I just hit 83k miles with no major issues, and a few days ago I noticed oil drips under the vehicle. I removed the belly pan, and there was quite a bit of oil, but after topping it off and another couple of days of observation, it's not big leak, but it's not tiny either. I lifted it up on jack stands and spent some time underneath, but I wasn't able to pinpoint where it was coming from. I was hoping someone here could point me in a direction as to common failures. I remember seeing something about the rear main seal but can't find the info. The leak seems to be on the passenger side, rear of the engine, with the belly pan removed. TIA
I've had a bit on the passenger side as well but not much. Without a picture it's tough to tell exactly where you're referring. I suspect mine has some oil leaking down the back when I remove the oil filter during changes. I've never had to add oil between changes and just turned 100k miles

Old 10-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE:

So after many days of investigation, I found that the oil was leaking from around the oil filter cap/oil cooler. I used a bore scope to dig around with the cap on and off, and couldn't find any glaring cracks. I felt the o-ring that was replaced at the last oil change(about 3 months ago) and remembered that at the time I installed it, it felt quite dry and old. I got the filter through NAPA(WIX) but it must have been old stock. So I ordered a new filter(K&N) and replaced the filter and after almost two weeks, I haven't see a drop of oil. After I replaced the o-ring and filter, I used parts cleaner to get a lot of the oil out then washed it with degreaser. I have used the bore scope several times to look for any oil in the little valleys on top of the oil cooler and it seems to have resolved. And thanks @RyanLR3 for the reassurance that it should not be leaking.

The following users liked this post:
RyanLR3 (10-18-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that you found the source of your leak! I always clean and inspect the oil filter cap especially the groove for the O-ring. Then when installing the new one I put a thin layer for new oil all the way around the O-ring and reinstall and never had a leak so far. Just like when changing oil on my other cars with a traditional metal filter, I've always added that thin layer of oil to the rubber seal and never a leak.