Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Window - Broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 09:08 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Window - Broken

We were headed to Orlando from SWFL this weekend and while rolling the window up at a stoplight, we heard noises of parts falling in the door. About a mile down the road, the window started falling slowly. We couldn’t control the window with the buttons. Stopped at the closest dealership and they were super helpful. Unfortunately it appears the parts are on back order. I have tried multiple methods to keep the window up and all have failed within a day or two. 1. Any ideas on how to keep the window up? I’ve tried tape, suction cups, and shims. 2. Does anyone know what the part could be and where to get one? This is a 2020 Disco5 TD6. Pic is the dealers attempt at holding it up.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

EVERYTHING is on back order at JLR.
Here is a way to relatively fix it:
- get 2-3 paint stir sticks ( the ones you get at Lowe's when you buy paint)
- wedge them on the inside of the window , between the seal and window - yes, you may have to be a bit brutal, but it will stay pretty stiff. Note: I see that you have window tint applied - try to wrap the sticks with a plastic bag, so they won't scratch the tint foil.
Not pretty, but works. Past experiences.... this is how I know.
Best of luck to you.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow - that's quite the look...

I'd have thought one piece of duct tape, 1/3 of the way down on the inside of the glass, looped over top of door and down about 1/3 on outside will hold it perfectly. Just cover the sticky part of the tape where it goes over the top of the door so it's only stuck on the glass. That will stop it from making your window frame sticky

And yes / parts for everything are back ordered - cars, fridges, dishwashers. It's amazing...

Old 11-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Re: everything backordered
I was just on a cruise ship out of San Pedro CA (next door to Long Beach CA)
Loads of cargo ships in the ocean waiting to come to port.
But, over 3 separate weekends I observed a huge almost fully loaded container ship, at the dock, with sometime no unloading being done. Nobody working.
When I did see them working, only one crane slowly moved containers. At that rate it would take a week or two to unload a single ship.

When I was in port in Mazatlan Mexico, which is a shipping port, I did see a cargo ship or two but no backlog of ships waiting. I was there twice a week apart.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
When I was in port in Mazatlan Mexico, which is a shipping port, I did see a cargo ship or two but no backlog of ships waiting. I was there twice a week apart.
In US, it is all by design ... make no mistake. Nothing like this happens in Europe either....
Some one is making big $$$$$$$$ while this is going on.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:53 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing happened to my drivers window back in the spring. The dealership took the door panel off and used vice grips on the mechanism so the widow would stay up. It took 4-5 weeks for the motor to come in.