Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering and alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering and alignment.

Since day one I've had nothing but issues with my wheel alignment, steering alignment and overall ride. So upsetting since I love the brand and waited so long for my custom build..... Watch the video in link below and let me know if this seems normal at all.

Dealership has done 6 alignments.... Each and every time it drives alright for a week or so and then I go back and it reads totally out of alignment again.

Been working and fighting with JLR for months and I'm just absolutely blown away that they refuse to help and keep pointing me at the dealership for help.... Crazy that I'm stuck with an $80k car that is all over the road, rides rough and feels laterally unstable. I also find that there's more steering resistance turning right then there is turning the wheel left.

The car is a 2019 Land Rover Discovery HSE LUX TD6.

Link to video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fn79weNipO_AeWHqyZKbRAv6FyeNrznk/view?usp=drivesddrivesdk

Photos below show how the wheel sits constantly on a dead straight roadway.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Do you notice feathering or uneven tire wear?

Sounds like something is either not tightened properly or needs to be replaced. Have they checked for play?

Also any excessive noise when you steer to either side when parking?

Old 06-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing but less pronounced, ie it takes about 4 times the length of road that yours does to veer to the right. It also requires a very slight turn to the left to keep it going straight, again not as much of a left turn applied as you are doing.
I don’t think it did it when I first picked it up so likely it’s been caused by something throwing the alignment out ever so slightly. Which suggests it can be fixed.
I’m waiting for my first service the beginning of July to take it in as I don’t drive it enough at the moment to make a special visit and it’s not as pronounced as yours.
I’ll be interested to see what the cause is for either of us...

Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by andries
Do you notice feathering or uneven tire wear?

Sounds like something is either not tightened properly or needs to be replaced. Have they checked for play?

Also any excessive noise when you steer to either side when parking?
Tire wear was very uneven and dealership replaced all four tires under warranty.....car still drives terribly and I'm sure they are wearing uneven again.

Going to dealer Friday for another drive with service manager and alignment check. They even agree the car is messed up but says only JLR can buy it back or get me in a different vehicle.

No noise from steering.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Mine is doing the same thing but less pronounced, ie it takes about 4 times the length of road that yours does to veer to the right. It also requires a very slight turn to the left to keep it going straight, again not as much of a left turn applied as you are doing.
I don’t think it did it when I first picked it up so likely it’s been caused by something throwing the alignment out ever so slightly. Which suggests it can be fixed.
I’m waiting for my first service the beginning of July to take it in as I don’t drive it enough at the moment to make a special visit and it’s not as pronounced as yours.
I’ll be interested to see what the cause is for either of us...

Very annoying....a car like this should be able to keep alignment for a long time especially if it's supposed to handle rock crawling etc.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Pirelli having problems with the Verde again? I know the Touaregs had horrible problems with them. I had a set I ran in summer on my Pepper and got along fine though. For "terrain" reasons, we swapped our Verdes out for Yoko G051s when we got it.

What tires you running?

Last edited by canon_mutant; 06-03-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Pirelli having problems with the Verde again? I know the Touaregs had horrible problems with them. I had a set I ran in summer on my Pepper and got along fine though. For "terrain" reasons, we swapped our Verdes out for Yoko G051s when we got it.

What tires you running?
The stock Verdes but this is a steering and alignment issue the tires were affected by the alignment being out of balance.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like the dealer should do a thorough suspension inspection as well as the steering system, especially the rack.

Looks like something failed or is loose.

The following users liked this post:
Mechano2020 (11-24-2021)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue on my side - 2019 Disco V TD6. I have had 3 alignments, and it is less pronounced that your pic, but has the same steering tilt to the left in order to track straight.

I will say it does not feel like alignment in that the Disco does not pull left or right - the dealer has not been helpful in diagnosing an “off center” steering wheel other than just performing an alignment each time. The steering rack bushings/endlinks must be compressing/deflecting after the alignment to allow this - as all the specs look great on the alignment rack.

Originally Posted by discov
Since day one I've had nothing but issues with my wheel alignment, steering alignment and overall ride. So upsetting since I love the brand and waited so long for my custom build..... Watch the video in link below and let me know if this seems normal at all.

Dealership has done 6 alignments.... Each and every time it drives alright for a week or so and then I go back and it reads totally out of alignment again.

Been working and fighting with JLR for months and I'm just absolutely blown away that they refuse to help and keep pointing me at the dealership for help.... Crazy that I'm stuck with an $80k car that is all over the road, rides rough and feels laterally unstable. I also find that there's more steering resistance turning right then there is turning the wheel left.

The car is a 2019 Land Rover Discovery HSE LUX TD6.

Link to video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fn7...rivesddrivesdk

Photos below show how the wheel sits constantly on a dead straight roadway.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by britm3
Same issue on my side - 2019 Disco V TD6. I have had 3 alignments, and it is less pronounced that your pic, but has the same steering tilt to the left in order to track straight.

I will say it does not feel like alignment in that the Disco does not pull left or right - the dealer has not been helpful in diagnosing an “off center” steering wheel other than just performing an alignment each time. The steering rack bushings/endlinks must be compressing/deflecting after the alignment to allow this - as all the specs look great on the alignment rack.

Thanks for the reply! Very interesting....I wonder if this is a td6 specific issue. Do you have the locking rear diff? Do you feel more steering resistance turning right then when you turn left? The dealer told me these steering systems do not use splines any longer and they are simply tightened and set with a hex bolt?? I find the driving experience totally unacceptable and I'm not going to stop fighting them on it until I get a resolution...... It's back at the dealer for for the 7th time.

Quick Reply: Steering and alignment.