Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about BEST Oil for Disco 5 TDv6 Diesel - Castrol Live Chat

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 10:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about BEST Oil for Disco 5 TDv6 Diesel - Castrol Live Chat

Hi All - I just purchased a 2019 Discovery 5 HSE Luxury TDv6 with a little under 25,000 miles and I wanted to ask this great forum about the oils you use, how that works with warranties, etc.

I do have an extended warranty (CarChex Titanium Coverage) and because I expect that we will inevitably do some "short trip" driving, in addition to highway driving I want to do whatever I can do proactively to ensure this vehicle runs as reliably as possible. I spoke with someone at Castrol today and they said that for a 2019 Land Rover Discovery (3.0L Turbo Diesel) vehicle, according to Castrol’s Lubrication Recommendation Guide, oil meeting the STJLR.03.5005 oil specification is required for use in SAE 5W-30 in all temperatures. Current Castrol engine oil sold retail which meets the STJLR.03.5005 oil specification and is available in the recommended SAE viscosity class is Castrol EDGE EURO 5W-30 C1 - Part #15B4B2 - 6 x 1 Liter Bottle and can only be purchased through Land Rover and/or Jaguar dealership locations.

The person I spoke with at CarChex said its obviously a good idea to save receipts for any and all maintenance like oil changes so I was thinking of changing the oil and oil filter myself every other 6,000 miles and bringing the car to a Land Rover dealership service center so they can change the oil / oil filter every 12,000 miles that way I will have receipts that Land Rover changed the oil every 12,000 miles but I would really be ensuring it is changed every 6,000 miles.

My first question is would you stick with the Castrol EDGE EURO 5W-30 C1 - Part #15B4B2 for ALL oil changes, do you think it would be ok for me to use a different / better oil (specifically that helps for "SHORT TRIPS" when I do the oil changes (like Castrol EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5W-40 or another 5W-40 you may recommend) or do you think I should exclusively use a 5W-40 oil for this car every 6,000 miles ?

My second question is when you change the Oil Filter do you recommend using the OEM Oil Filter or do you think it is better to use the Mobile 1-301 or the K&N 3001 Oil Filters which I believe @Disco Mike said are 40% larger than the others. And if I use one of those two Oil Filters might it void an extended warranty ?

Last question for now, do any of you recommend any fuel additives, other filter changes, anything else to ensure your Disco 5 TDv6 Diesel runs as reliably as possible to account for inevitable "SHORT TRIPS." My worry with the Short Trips is that even if we are going on Long Trips (NY to South Carolina) once we are in South Carolina we'll be going on tons of Short Trips for a few weeks. So to me it seems that the Short Trips are completely unavoidable.

Thank you very much !

Joeyz101

Old 11-07-2023, 01:48 PM
Winching
Received 312 Likes on 192 Posts

I use Mobil1 ESP 5w-30w, change oil and filter 8k. I have 90k on rig.

I use WIX filters Rockauto.

Fuel filter Rockauto.

Hot shots fuel additive.

The following users liked this post:
mtaylo32 (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

which hot shots additive do you use and any improvements in any way

Old 11-07-2023, 10:48 PM
4wd Low
Old 11-08-2023, 04:33 AM
Winching

Yes sir. 4-6 oz per fill up.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:36 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR disco 5
which hot shots additive do you use and any improvements in any way
Seems to keep P2002 code away.

That being said, once a week get it out on the highway.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

is it not the everyday diesel treatment because the Diesel extreme says use every 6k miles but the everyday one says use every fill up
Everyday Diesel Treatment (EDT): Fuel Additive | Hot Shot's Secret (hotshotsecret.com)

Old 11-09-2023, 05:32 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LR disco 5
is it not the everyday diesel treatment because the Diesel extreme says use every 6k miles but the everyday one says use every fill up
Everyday Diesel Treatment (EDT): Fuel Additive | Hot Shot's Secret (hotshotsecret.com)
I think they are the same, but that is just me. I use the extreme every fill up. Also use it on my VW TDI too.

Old 11-09-2023, 01:48 PM
4wd Low

For what it's worth I spoke with a very nice person at Hot Shot's Secrets yesterday and they recommended the following for my 2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 Tdv6:

Diesel Extreme: use every 8,000 miles (16oz treats 30-40 gallons)
EDT: use every tankful (4oz treats 50-100 gallons)
Stiction Eliminator: use every other oil change
FR3: use every other oil change

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (11-10-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 01:48 PM
4wd Low

Hi All - wanted to run a conversation I had with Land Rover Service department by you !

Once, prior to me owning this 2019 Discovery TDv6 the car was brought into service for the error "incorrect DEF Fluid - No Engine Restart." The Service person said this car needs "Ad Blue" DEF Fluid and it cannot be expired. She said where you add it is by the front fender and there is no visual meter on the dash or no dipstick so you can check the level. So my question is how do you all handle this issue - do you add this yourself or do you go to a Land Rover Service department to add it and how frequently do you do this ?

I asked the Land Rover Service person about the manufacturer recommended oil for this car and she said it is Castrol 0W20 Edge Professional and she said she does NOT recommend ever putting a heavier weight oil in this car because a heavier weight oil is exactly what can cause issues with cam shaft sensor or crank shaft issues. I thought the manufacturer recommended oil was a Castrol 5W30 - so immediate question to you all is what have you heard is the manufacturer recommended oil and do you feel comfortable deviating from that and if so why ? The Service person was quick to tell me "don't trust what you read on the forums about the heavier weight oil and how it might be better for stop and go traffic "

Lastly the service person told me you should make sure you change the Diesel Fuel Filter every 16,000 miles and if you don't do this, and if you don't change the oil (when the car tells you it needs changing) it can lead to much more expensive component issues.

She also said they charge $680 to do the oil change. Is that what your local Land Rover Service department charges ?

Thank you !

Joe

Quick Reply: Question about BEST Oil for Disco 5 TDv6 Diesel - Castrol Live Chat