Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Pad Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Rear Brake Pad Info

Attached is a pdf file with Rear Brake Pad Info.

From the last pages specs it appears that a new pad has 0.48 inches of pad and the wear sensor indicates at 0.12 inches of pad remaining.

This document should allow many readers to replace their pads and evaluate their rotors.

Maybe this should be a sticky.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Brakes.pdf (2.62 MB, 696 views)

Last edited by ponderosajack; 10-31-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: add attachment
The following 2 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
andries (11-01-2019), gmfain (04-29-2020)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks again for posting these. I will be replacing my rear brakes pretty soon with the Powerstop Z36 Brake kit with pads and rotors. I noticed in the manual that the rear caliper bolts are TTY (torque to yield) and must be replaced every time. Unfortunately, I'm having a hell of a time finding the proper part number for these, as it's not listed in the manual. I tried checking online as well, and I'm not seeing them listed in the parts diagram for a 2017 Discovery for some reason. Does the repair manual contain this info somewhere?

I cross referenced the Range Rover L405, and it seems to be P/N SYG000013 for that vehicle, but the Disco 5 is strange in that there was a brake system change between 2017 and 2018, so it's hard to find accurate information.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You are correct. Brake Caliper Carrier Bolts are supposed to be replaced. I searched the entire repair manual and it never provides the part numbers.
Surely your dealer can pull up the diagram and provide the part number and I would assume stock those bolts. Looks like two per caliper are required.
Why do you need new rotors already?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Since I am changing pads to a completely different material with a low dust formulation, I want to start with a fresh rotor for the pad mating surface. While I could turn the old rotors, I got the whole rear kit with new pads, rotors and pad sensor for under $200 total, so I didn't bother trying to resurface them. I might just keep the old rotors and resurface them for the next time I need to change the rear pads.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That seems like a pretty good price. Please let us know if they are dust free and how well they work. And please post the caliper bolt part numbers (and if they are the same number in the front) when you get them.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Will do. I have Power Stop pads with the same compound on my C63 AMG, and they are a night and day improvement over the factory Brembo metallic pads as far as dust is concerned. I expect no less here. I ended up buying the bolts with the above P/N from the dealer. They weren't very helpful in telling me if they are right or not. It seems like they only want to service your car, not sell parts. I'll post up how they fit, but it might be a while until I get to it.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes. Pls do post your steps, anything you learned and some photos. A bit hard to follow what the shop manual means in places. And mine will need doing sometime in the new year I expect.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Yea, the shop manual seems to have some steps that are incorrect or have typos. At the end of the day, the only 2 strange things about these rear brakes are the EPB service mode and the torque to yield bolts. Everything else is just about as generic a floating caliper braking system can get.

Oh, and the 2018 Discovery 5 has revised brakes from my 2017. Your rear rotors are a bit larger, and the corresponding caliper brackets locate the caliper further out, accordingly. Check to make sure whatever rotors and pads you get are compatible with your model year. On the plus side, the parts catalog I referred to did list the SYG000013 P/N I mentioned above as the correct part for the 2018-2019 D5.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2020, 07:57 PM
Drifting

So it's been a while and time for an update.

I finally installed the Powerstop Z36 brake kit on the rear. Unfortunately, I tried the EPB service mode procedure described in the manual about 5 times, and it never went into service mode. It did release the parking brake, but not completely to allow you to compress the caliper piston. It was a pain. I ended up unbolting each EPB motor, and had to manually wind back each caliper with a torx bit (don't remember the size) which then allowed me to compress the pistons. You will need a few different size torx bits for the job, so make sure you have a full set.

For the bolts, the P/N I listed above was correct. When replacing them, I torqued to 81ft. lbs per the instructions, marked 120 degrees with a sharpie and tried to torque them with a large breaker bar, but I could not get them there. I made it maybe 60 degrees at best. I felt comfortable enough stopping there because that was way tighter than the factory hardware was anyway, plus the new bolts are precoated with fresh thread sealant.

I haven't gotten to test anything as it turns out my fronts were shot as well, so I will put those on this week before I test drive the car. Overall, I am happy with the Powerstop kit though. It came with both rotors and pads, grease, a new pad wear sensor, brake pad retaining brackets, and even new boots for the caliper slider pins. This really is a good value when you consider all that you get. Will let you know how it all turns out when I do the fronts and finally get to test drive it.

The following 3 users liked this post by BalanBro:
AirRyan (02-24-2020), DeusMexMachina (02-14-2021), gmfain (04-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Pad Info