Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability

I'm looking to trade my car for a '20 Discovery, but Land Rover hasn't gotten the best reputation. What I want to know is if it's a problematic car, or not, from your experiences.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:12 AM
Winching
Received 306 Likes on 187 Posts

I have 2017 TD6 HSE LUX. I bought it used with 44K, now has 75K. Windshield replaced. Has been really reliable. I do regular maintenance myself, I also take off road too.

Diesel needs to be driven to keep DEF and regens normal. If you short trip alot, skip the diesel.

I love mine.

Feel free to ask anything. This forum will most likely have the answer.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2022, 12:51 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

2017 Diesel with 89k miles now, with no major issues.I tow quite a bit, the power and drivetrain has been flawless

I've replaced 3 door/lock assemblies and the driver window regulator. Did the repairs myself, I assume LR would've charged several hundred each. Total cost for all 4 was about $1400. Not saying the problem is systemic and doesn't appear at least from this forum others are having door latch issues.

just keep up with the maintenance. I understand that alone can be pricey if you don't do your own work.

Last edited by RyanLR3; 12-10-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Land Rover is unreliable is an old assertion that doesn't reflect the modern brand. I've had several and been very happy with them. Like any other modern luxury brand repairs are expensive so go in with your eyes open.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (01-31-2023)
Old 12-11-2022, 05:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

When I bought my new 2006 LR3 poor reliablity was a concern. I figured if I had problems I'd get rid of it when the warranty ran out. After 135K miles I traded it in on a 2017 D5 in late 2018.
Total problems with the LR3 consisted of aboutn $1k to replace front A arm assembly due to worn bushings and another $1K to change transmission fluid (preventative). I do all my own service and keep all the fluids changed and take good care of it.
I've put 42 K miles on the D5. No mechanical issues but I did have a problem with the In-Touch display (yours is now Pivi anyway). I did have the windshield replaced by my dealer.

The D5 is smoother, quicker, gets better gas mileage, has better heating and cooling, but I still miss my LR3.
I think you will be very happy with your D5. A good dealer can make all the difference. I use Land Rover Denver and they are very good. I've heard good things about the Colorado Springs Land Rover Dealer too. I know their oil change price is very good but I still do it myself. Stick to 5K to 7.5 K oil changes for the gas engine. There are other people that will say this is excessive but it works for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
ar077 (01-31-2023), clamp007 (05-06-2024), TheManMac (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My disco is fine aswell 2019 Td6 HSE LUX not much miles but 76000 km I do maintenance myself which saves a lot and also I tow and offroad quite a bit devinetly not a pavement or garage princess its an amazing truck nothing has gone wrong so far... Oil and filter every 12000 km and fuel filter every 2nd oil change its amazing

Old 12-19-2022, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

All but one issue issue of mine have been software based and most ironed out. I get a random “reduced performance” message but I restart and it’s gone. Some real annoyances are GOD FORBID the wiper fluid gets low. The amount of warnings is crazy. I love the diesel and wouldn’t get it any other way. I did have a pulley in the front shred apart and I had the air ride suspension pump ($1750 replaced) go literally 24hrs after the warranty expired. Knowing what I know now I could have just bought one off Amazon or eBay for cheap and done it myself. I did replace the front windshield which requires calibration so that was $1100.

overall I’ve never loved a vehicle more. I have a 2017 and honestly because of the diesel and tactile buttons I wouldn’t want to move to a newer one. I have a boat that’s probably 6500-7500lbs when loaded I tow regularly. I’ve buried it in a swamp once. It’s been pretty solid. I will say there’s a love/hate with the software. The reason it got harried was because I was crossing a small swampy area going fishing down a coastline in Texas and the damn thing decided the transmission was getting warm so it reduced the performance and I sank. Which was complete BS. If I’m in that type of situation it should be up to me to decide when to call it quits. That caused me to sink and then became a day getting it out. Never had issues like that in my pickups before.

I love this thing and the only way I’ll get rid of it is when my Grenadier becomes available.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:00 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks!! 😂 That story right there aligns completely with the outback overland guys (Andrew St Pierre White, etc) saying these are no longer rugged overland expedition vehicles.
The software will end up bonking or the complex parts will break and aren't fit for field repair. I'm one month into a 2018 Discovery 5 and am really enjoying it. Fingers crossed for many problem free miles 🤞

Have any good pics of the Disco stuck in the bog?

Old 01-04-2023, 05:02 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2018 Hse Td6 with 23000 miles and after today I can officially say I HATE this car and it's totally unreliable and unsafe. Beyond it just dying twice while on the highway, we walked out from dinner to the car only to find the brakes locked up and it had to be towed. It's been in the shop 12 times in 3 years for anything you can imagine. I am the only driver and treat it very well, have all the maintenance done and it has literally been nothing but a problem. Based on other responses it seems like maybe I got a dud but I would never recommend this car to anyone.

The following users liked this post:
TheManMac (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:29 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bbplum
I have a 2018 Hse Td6 with 23000 miles and after today I can officially say I HATE this car and it's totally unreliable and unsafe. Beyond it just dying twice while on the highway, we walked out from dinner to the car only to find the brakes locked up and it had to be towed. It's been in the shop 12 times in 3 years for anything you can imagine. I am the only driver and treat it very well, have all the maintenance done and it has literally been nothing but a problem. Based on other responses it seems like maybe I got a dud but I would never recommend this car to anyone.
I've also had a couple LR3s and my Diesel Discovery is at least on par with regards to reliably. I keep up the maintenance and i don't baby it.

Last edited by RyanLR3; 01-04-2023 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Reliability