Sponsored by:

Rock hit Radiator and Motor is Blown

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
I think one important aspect that people are missing here is that:

THE DEALER REPLACED THE RADIATOR UNDER WARRANTY.

You can't very well say this part is covered but the part that it protects (engine) isn't if said covered part fails.

Also, if the engine died in the customer's possession as they claim, how did it suddenly work after replacing the radiator to be able to drive flawlessly for 4.3 miles?

Something isn't right with this story.
Bingo. The dealer logic is flawed. They replace a radiator under warranty due to a non warranty issue, but stop at the motor? What did they tell JLR when they sent them the bill? Then the entire 4.3 miles they drive it after replacing it, and they presented you a vehicle with a busted motor. They sound neither competent nor honest. I have Td6 and I have grille vents; it's not open.

First off, escalate to JLR and tell them you suspect either gross incompetence from the dealer or else foul play. Ask them if ther dealer sent them a bill for the radiator work. Ask them to break down the motor and verify where it failed. Ask them to verify what the dealer is telling you; have them send a tech to backup the inconsistencies of the dealers story. JLR reputation is on ther line, as far as I'm concerned.

Secondly, Ford has an entire long block crate motor from their F150 PowerStroke for less than $9k; it's 90 percent the same motor and nothing at that point that there rest of your motor wouldn't work with. A reputable shop should be able to get you back on the road for a fraction of the dealer quote. A reputable shop could tell you if needed a new block or just a cylinder head. You have to know where it failed before you can determine if need an all new head. I doubt the entire motor has zero value remaining.

The last thing I'd do is let this dealer do anything. Wouldn't let them change my oil. Feel free to name drop, that's the world we now live in.

Last edited by AirRyan; 07-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 157 Likes on 125 Posts

Definitely more to this story than meets the eye. Agree that you should get JLR corporate involved and ask them to get to the bottom of the facts. How did it work for several miles after rad replacement, what actually failed. Why not repairable?

I wouldn't focus on why they covered the radiator on warranty. It's clear that rock damage wouldn't be covered. I expect they decided to replace it out of goodwill. A whole engine requires much higher corporate sign off than a radiator

Can you confirm what engine you have? Is it the AJ126 (V6 gas supercharged 340hp)? If so it's not correct that it shares 90% of its parts with a Ford F-150. Its a jag/LR engineered engine with its own parts. They do run at $30k ish - they have been in Jags and Land Rovers for a number of years now and I've read posts of one or two failing (in the Jag forum) and that's the replacement cost. It's a lightweight all aluminum block - which is therefore very sensitive to overheating and warping. failures are rare and mostly overheating (low coolant warning, driver doesn't stop and it's toast) or oil starvation

There is a red engine temperature warning light that will come on. But cars can overheat so quickly that damage is done before the light can warn you.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

So... fun fact...

It seems like non Dynamic pack vehicles have a grille there, whereas due to the design of the dynamic pack and the way those "fingers" extend back in the grille had to be removed as my gas HSE Lux which does not have the Dynamic pack has grilles:

However there is still the issue of the center grille area which has no protection, although getting a stone in that way with velocity is admittedly much harder (but not impossible) as it's really tucked away off to the side compared to that side "gill" opening which faces directly forward.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 07-07-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by cru_jones
Does the D5 not have an engine temp guage in the steering wheel cluster? Is there no menu that can pull it up?

it is absolutely vital for someone to know the temp of the engine at all times, even more so on an off-road vehicle.
It does, if you have the screen vs analog gauges it's at the bottom of either the tachometer or the speedo, if you're in dual gauge view, I forget which.
On single gauge view, which I normally use I don't remember if it's shown or not, but I think so, I need to double check.
If you have the screen in just giant map navigation view then I suspect it may not show it (not checked).

Old 07-09-2020, 04:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by discov
I have a td6 and my right side is completely closed with a plastic insert in place of where the radiator would be.

The left side is totally open to a radiator.
Here is a good picture of the TD6 with some covers off. Aux radiator on one side and the intercooler on the other side.
The intercooler seems to be fluid to air and not air to air as I thought, may be the Eason why it looks like it is blocked off.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...b00720dbbd.jpg
Spoiler

Old 07-11-2020, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

I’m sorry for what you’re going through. I can’t believe the tow truck driver damaged your engine by running it after it had a coolant leak. I’d have to sue that company and let their insurance handle it plus cover the costs of the suit. Then I’d have to sue LR for the employee that started and drove your vehicle with a disabled engine making the problem worse. Then I’d have to sue LR for what is obviously a defect that is dangerous, for not covering their defect under warranty, and for trying to put you back on the road in an unsafe vehicle.

Id feel absolutely confident that in the end LR would be willing to cover the issue. Whatever lawyer you have needs to be fired.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kylaroy77
1979rover - YEESSSSS!!! That is DEFINITELY the question that not only i, but also my insurance company has. This whole thing makes no sense. I have the "receipt" from the day i went to pick up the car after the radiator was replaced that says, No Charge,Warranty. When i question the JLR dealers GM about this he says, "Well, that never should have happened". But it did. My insurance company who i spoke with again this morning said, they have a mechanical engineer looking into this but, that they don't like what they see. They say sure, we will cover a rock hitting the radiator, no problem. But, how did a rock hitting the radiator kill an engine with no warning? And how did they drive it for 4.3 miles and tell me everything was great once they replaced the radiator only to come back 24 hours later and say the engine is blown. My head is spinning.
if the coolant leaked, the temp spiked, and a gasket became cracked then it’s possible the additional driving caused oil to leak into the new radiator and basically turn it into oatmeal and cause more over heating damage to the engine. I’ve had this happen before.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Update on Rock Hit Radiator

All - thanks again for all of your thoughts and replies. I was kind of in a holding pattern with our insurance as they completed their investigation. They (insurance) was able to bypass the service manager at the dealer as he was on vacation. They called the mechanic who signed off on the work done and asked for the ECU codes and 30 minutes later, they had them. They learned namely, that my engine, according to the codes, never got above 208 degrees. Also, they learned that the "low coolant light" went on at the same mileage that i pulled into the driveway (in other words, my car made it to my driveway at mile 9731 and at mile 9731 the "low coolant" (WHITE) light came on. BUT - here is the kicker! Last week my insurance company had a conference call with several of their associates/management. They called me at the end of the call and said that its been 6 weeks and they cannot make a determination as to WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO MY CAR because Jaguar Land Rover is being totally cagey. They agreed to pay for a brand new motor to be installed UNDER THE CONDITION THAT WHEN THEY PULL OUT THE DEAD MOTOR , a representative from our insurance company is allowed to be present and take a look at the motor and see it for themselves. Also, they asked me to testify if necessary as to the events of the day the car had trouble should it come to that. We agreed to both conditions. Now, 4 days later, I called the dealership to find out what kind of time frame we are talking about they said, well, we didn't start working on the car because "we DO NOT AGREE TO THEIR (insurance) TERMS. The damaged MOTOR IS THE PROPERTY OF LAND ROVER AND IF THEY WANT TO LOOK AT IT, THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGED MOTOR".

WHAT kind of craziness is this? Has anyone ever heard of this? How could i possibly pay $70,000.0 for a car and NOT own the engine? The insurance company called me this evening and said they are absolutely beside themselves with the shadiness of JAGUAR LAND ROVER OF CHANTILLY, VA and that they don't know where to go from here.

Anyone have any ideas? I have now been paying $1200/month for a car i haven't seen in 7 weeks. And apparently I only own the shell and not the engine? I would really like to curse but i won't.
Thanks. I appreciate your time.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you ever get a response from JLR? I'd get your vehicle out of that dealership.

Last edited by AirRyan; 07-23-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met with my attorney and said the same thing - i wanted the car out of that dealership. The problem is we are in the DC Metro area and there are 2 JLR dealers and my attorney feels quite certain the two GM's golf together . She felt like unless i knew for some reason that the mechanics were better at the other dealer in the county, then likely the whole thing would be looked at through the same lens.

Quick Reply: Rock hit Radiator and Motor is Blown