New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock hit Radiator and Motor is Blown

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 386 Likes on 292 Posts

With all that's been done at this point, and the belief that the actual problem has been identified and corrected, I think you'll know in the next few weeks whether or not this truck should be considered "cursed" and getting out is mandatory. Repeat events like the last few weeks would indicate a bigger underlying problem but it sounds like that may not be the case. If you're not comfortable owning/driving it then that's a subjective view based on what you've been through, and I don't blame you, but if the next few weeks and hundreds of miles are trouble-free then I think it's safe to assume that the hurdles have been cleared and from a purely nuts and bolts perspective there should be nothing that sets this apart from any other LR vehicle you could have plucked off the lot when you purchased this one. If there's an out available to you I would recommend taking it, but truth be told, I would say that to anyone in possession of a new LR. If you can get out of it before the **** hits the fan then you'd be wise to do so. I personally do not feel that QC is where it needs to be on a vehicle as complicated as this one.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kylaroy77
I bought a 2020 Discovery in December 2019. Three weeks ago i was driving my elderly neighbor home from the doctor and a block before our street, a white light flashed on the dash that said "Check Coolant" or "Coolant Low" - I honestly can't remember which. About 15 seconds later we heard a knocking noise and about 30 seconds later we were in my driveway. I turned the engine off and there was green coolant fluid gushing from the front driver side of the car. I called Land Rover and they dispatched a tow company. Tow Truck arrived and they checked under the hood, said there was still fluid left so he was going to DRIVE the car from the driveway to the street and onto the flat bed tow truck. He took it back to dealer where i purchased 6 months (to the day) earlier. They called me the next day and said that a rock had hit the radiator, they replaced the radiator and covered it under warranty. I went the following day to pick up my car and watched as the porter couldn't start the car when he attempted to bring it to me. He finally got the car to move 3 tries later. He brought it to me and i said, what happened? Why wouldn't the car start? He said he didn't know and asked if i heard "the noise it made". I told him i couldn't hear the noise from where i was but that i couldn't take the car. A BRAND NEW CAR should start. The next day the dealership calls me and tells me that the engine was blown and that i needed a new one to the tune of $30-35,000.00. I just paid $70,000.00 for the car 6 months ago. I had ZERO WARNING lights, ZERO bells or sounds, simply drove the car about 1.5 blocks with a knocking noise. 1.5 blocks was the ONLY indicator that there was a problem. Anyone else heard of such craziness? My insurance company says it doesn't add up and they are doing an investigation but, they reserve the right not to pay it if they feel like it should be at the expense of Land Rover. Land Rover INSISTS this is not their problem and refuse to help in any way. I guess my biggest concern at this point is, how could i ever drive a car worth $70,000.00 that has the potential to blow its engine with no warning, no signals of an issue and a whopping $30,000.00 bill if a rock hits the radiator. The mechanic said the rock flew it at such an angle that you could "never get it to happen like that again. a one in a million chance". Great. Love any thoughts. Here are a few pics of the dent where they say a rock hit. Not that it necessarily matters but, i never saw or heard a rock coming for me.

This is the spot on the radiator where they say a rock hit.

we bought a brand new Range Rover Sport in August 2020 4 weeks Old. We travelled on tar for about 400 km, when the light come on. No previous warning at all. We stopped immediately, the automated service call in the car did not work we eventually called the dealership. We are in South Africa and it is not very wise to stop on the side of the road due to the crime levels, we waited over 3 hours for a tow truck to arrive to be noted we were in the middle of nowhere the closest town 110km. It was cold windy and raining. The dealership only sent a tow truck and they expected us to get in the tow truck, we are in our 70s. It is ridiculous how pathetic the service care was, we organized our own lift to town, subsequently we found out that a rock had hit the subsidiary radiator. We find it incredible that an off road vehicle can be taken down on-a tar road, like you we did not feel any stone noise, we will be collecting the repaired vehicle on Tuesday I hope the engine is intact. We have lost all faith in the brand due to This experience, the poor customer care, the failure for the warning light to come up b4 the fluid is finished, and the service button not working. We are now investigating buying a different vehicle. In our lifetime of new cars we have never been left on the side of the road, and we have never had such poor customer care. The ultimate insult fur us seniors was to expect mud to climb on a tow truck, at any time but most especially during a covid pandemic, with total Strangers and no social distancing.