Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber sleeve around brake caliper piston

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 12:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Rubber sleeve around brake caliper piston

The rubber sleeve around the piston. Does it have a functional use to stop brake fluid or is it there for dust collection? I was replacing my rear brakes yesterday and there’s two screws holding the electric brake motor on the top. I went to undo one of the motors to wind the brake back and the screw stripped. My only other option was to rotate the piston using rubber ended channel lock pliers until it was fully retracted. In doing so the rubber sleeve slipped out. Wondering if I should be worried or not. The housing for the piston appears to have a seal built into its walls so I’m hoping that’s enough.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

On a side note, how many brake pad sensors are there? One for rear and front? One for just the rear? Two for rear? It would appear only my right side has a sensor wire and there’s never been any indication in the cabin

Old 03-16-2021, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't know on your first question unfortunately.
On the wear sensors, there is one per axle. Front left and back right. Each one measures pad thickness of the inner pad

The LR oem ones are expensive - can get aftermarket much lower cost. If it hasn't triggered the low pad light you might be able to reuse the sensor but usually the heat from the brakes makes the plastic brittle and they break as you remove them

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (03-18-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Did you damage that rubber sleeve or are you just unable to reinstall it?
I doubt very much that it has anything to do with retaining brake pressure.
It's probably a dust and dirt protection.
I have a damaged spare rear caliper in a box in my garage with good seals.
I can pull it out tomorrow and take pictures for you.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:21 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You really want to replace that seal. It is just a dust/debris seal, but it protects the piston wall and inner hydraulic seal from being damaged by debris. Running without it could cause the piston/inner seal to be damaged, possibly requiring you to have to replace or rebuild the entire caliper.

As far as sensors go, there is one on the front axle and one on the rear axle. When I bought the Power Stop Z36 front and rear brake kits back in 2019, it came with the replacement sensors as well.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BritCars
I don't know on your first question unfortunately.
On the wear sensors, there is one per axle. Front left and back right. Each one measures pad thickness of the inner pad

The LR oem ones are expensive - can get aftermarket much lower cost. If it hasn't triggered the low pad light you might be able to reuse the sensor but usually the heat from the brakes makes the plastic brittle and they break as you remove them
Yup figured this out with an $18 purchase from eBay that’s done the trick.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BalanBro
You really want to replace that seal. It is just a dust/debris seal, but it protects the piston wall and inner hydraulic seal from being damaged by debris. Running without it could cause the piston/inner seal to be damaged, possibly requiring you to have to replace or rebuild the entire caliper.

As far as sensors go, there is one on the front axle and one on the rear axle. When I bought the Power Stop Z36 front and rear brake kits back in 2019, it came with the replacement sensors as well.

I gladly would but for the life of me I can’t figure out how that rubber housing is attached.