New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - Connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - Connectivity?

Hi ,
I just picked up a 2018 Discovery and am trying to connect my Note 9 to the car and I'm getting an error message indicating that the phone is not recognized. Has anyone else been successful in connecting a Note 9? I am able to connect the phone via Bluetooth and BT streaming works fine.

BTW - I was able to connect an iPhone X, so it appears that at least the connection is functional.

I suspect that the car's software doesn't recognize the new phone? I am hoping that perhaps Land Rover has stopped updating this app so they can focus on getting Apple Car Play and Android Auto to us.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Ok - I got it working. I had to do something in the setting menu in the car for android. Once I did that, everything working. The sad thing is that it is really not a good app. I’m really hoping a Car Play and AA are coming (that is retro compatible)!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Glad you got it working. We have different trucks but the same phones. I sometimes have to reboot my phone to cure Bluetooth issues.

Glad you figured it out.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by preeble
Ok - I got it working. I had to do something in the setting menu in the car for android. Once I did that, everything working. The sad thing is that it is really not a good app. I’m really hoping a Car Play and AA are coming (that is retro compatible)!
The "app" stuff in the car is worthless. You have to be physically connected via USB and then the app takes over your phone, it won't run in the background. Even then all you get is some basic functionality with Spotify, the other apps are pretty worthless. I heard Car Play was part of the new update going to Jaguar which should eventually make its way to ours. I find just using my phone to be easier than trying to navigate CarPlay style menus, but I typically am only maybe changing a Spotify playlist while driving. The whole messaging thing doesn't seem very helpful. I really don't know why they didn't just build in apps like Spotify into the TouchPro system.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Drifting

I carry two phones with me - an Apple and Android and I have both Car Play and Android Auto in another car. I use AA more than Car Play as it gives me a little more flexibility but generally the functionality is the same. I do have to plug in to use it, but the map and music experience is definitely better. One nice thing (at least in the US) is that I don't pay for Sirius in that car as I use the app via AA.

In all cases, I generally prefer just streaming over BT so I can have my phone accessible. I am not a good driving role model!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The app I find lacking the most is the navigation. I can browse contacts on my phone and call them, but I can't load their address into the nav (unless I'm missing something, then somebody please let me know). I can see the address in the contact details, there's just not a link to pull that into the navigation. LR has the Route app that will let me copy an address from contacts on my phone and paste it into Route on my phone, which will then sometimes show up on the car nav as a recently added destination ...often 10 minutes into my drive. The crazy part is that I would give the Route app access to my contacts, but the developers didn't put that feature in (even though it's easy to do). Software still needs some work, though I have seen worse.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalWiley
The app I find lacking the most is the navigation. I can browse contacts on my phone and call them, but I can't load their address into the nav (unless I'm missing something, then somebody please let me know). I can see the address in the contact details, there's just not a link to pull that into the navigation. LR has the Route app that will let me copy an address from contacts on my phone and paste it into Route on my phone, which will then sometimes show up on the car nav as a recently added destination ...often 10 minutes into my drive. The crazy part is that I would give the Route app access to my contacts, but the developers didn't put that feature in (even though it's easy to do). Software still needs some work, though I have seen worse.
I will attempt that, I personally love the navigation system generally. The sync can be forced in the settings menu which you do have to perform if you have recently updated the route on the "routes" mobile app. As long as the cell data is working, the nav has been great. Though there are like you said minor issues here and there like the contacts which I will attempt today.

The route app would have to have a contacts system not only in the app, but then extended into the NAV, I believe the contacts currently are housed as part of the Phone functionality, perhaps the issue is that the two systems are disjointed. That said, the route app is also lacking. Like why can't I rename a Favorite? Why aren't there labels at a bare minimum for favorites? It seems like the favorites is meant to only house a handful of addresses.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vulturez
I believe the contacts currently are housed as part of the Phone functionality, perhaps the issue is that the two systems are disjointed.
That's the issue. From an app development standpoint, it's very simple to request access to the contacts (and addresses) stored on the phone and most other navigation apps do this. Hopefully there is an app update, but I'm not holding my breath.