Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Maps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Satellite Maps?

What does it take to get the satellite maps on the navigation? I know Google Maps has this and love it, but can I get satellite maps via either my cell phone connected via Bluetooth (or do I have to go mobile hotspot and tether it,) or is this available with the sim card the dealer sets up for you get when the vehicle is new? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

You need a SIM card data plan or tether the car to your phones WiFi hotspot.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:02 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
You need a SIM card data plan or tether the car to your phones WiFi hotspot.
Okay, I have heard that but was not sure. I've read where perhaps the dealer registers and installs one at delivery (only 3G?) and is valid for the duration of the 4-year warranty? The 2019 brochure (doesn't look like we'll get a 2020 Discovery brochure) says the Pro Connect is 4G, though.

I found this data-only SIM card on T-Mobile's website; it doesn't say if it's 3G or 4G, or give any pricing information. What do you do, just add this to your plan and share your data with one of the phones on your plan?
https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/t-mo...ernet-sim-card

Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

There are 2 SIM cards in the vehicle, one is hidden away and is used to provide services like the ability to remote start from your iPhone app etc and is included for I think 4 years as part of your icontrol pro subscription.
The 2nd one is the micro sim that goes in the center console area. This gives you the satellite maps, streaming music and can be shared to tablets etc in the car due to the car itself offering to become a hotspot for them. There is a SIM card provided as standard, AT&T here in the US, that has to be activated by you via some AT&T portal and that will give you 3 months free. After that it’s $20 a month. I had such trouble with AT&T activating it that I gave up and bought a data sim and put it in there, for which I am paying the equivalent of $15 a month. Entirely separate from my cell phones account, but you may have some other offer with your cell phone company and a family plan or something, I don’t know.
Prior to getting that sim I would switch on the hotspot on my iPhone and then in the cars infotainment would go to the connections screen and fill in the details of the phones hotspot in the WiFi section on the car. I didn’t need to buy anything extra from anyone. However it often forgot the phones details and was slow to connect to it so I just bought a cheap data sim for the car.
As far as I know the car is only 3G and it doesn’t mater if you put a 4G sim in it as the stuff is backwards compatible, you’ll just get 3G speeds max is all but that’s fine for the maps etc.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 02-13-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
There are 2 SIM cards in the vehicle, one is hidden away and is used to provide services like the ability to remote start from your iPhone app etc and is included for I think 4 years as part of your icontrol pro subscription.
The 2nd one is the micro sim that goes in the center console area. This gives you the satellite maps, streaming music and can be shared to tablets etc in the car due to the car itself offering to become a hotspot for them. There is a SIM card provided as standard, AT&T here in the US, that has to be activated by you via some AT&T portal and that will give you 3 months free. After that it’s $20 a month. I had such trouble with AT&T activating it that I gave up and bought a data sim and put it in there, for which I am paying the equivalent of $15 a month. Entirely separate from my cell phones account, but you may have some other offer with your cell phone company and a family plan or something, I don’t know.
Prior to getting that sim I would switch on the hotspot on my iPhone and then in the cars infotainment would go to the connections screen and fill in the details of the phones hotspot in the WiFi section on the car. I didn’t need to buy anything extra from anyone. However it often forgot the phones details and was slow to connect to it so I just bought a cheap data sim for the car.
As far as I know the car is only 3G and it doesn’t mater if you put a 4G sim in it as the stuff is backwards compatible, you’ll just get 3G speeds max is all but that’s fine for the maps etc.
Interesting. Yeah, 3G is barely usable. I thought that was outdated on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee when I bought it. The brochure definately says Connect Pro Package consists of 4G WiFi Hotspot.

I called T-Mobile and it is essentially just another line for me to add a data-only SIM card, after the $10 upfront for another sim card. I have a Military/Veteran family plan with them with 5 lines already, so another line is only $5 net more per month (after the $5 per line bill credit for auto payments.) It definitely would be worth that to me for the latest satellite maps. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRyan
Interesting. Yeah, 3G is barely usable. I thought that was outdated on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee when I bought it. The brochure definately says Connect Pro Package consists of 4G WiFi Hotspot.

I called T-Mobile and it is essentially just another line for me to add a data-only SIM card, after the $10 upfront for another sim card. I have a Military/Veteran family plan with them with 5 lines already, so another line is only $5 net more per month (after the $5 per line bill credit for auto payments.) It definitely would be worth that to me for the latest satellite maps. Thanks.
The sim card won't provide updated maps. You have to pay for those.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lonestarlr
as far as i know the car is only 3g and it doesn’t mater if you put a 4g sim in it as the stuff is backwards compatible, you’ll just get 3g speeds max is all but that’s fine for the maps etc.
4g lte.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
The sim card won't provide updated maps. You have to pay for those.
I received free map updates for 4 years when I bought the car... (they release new ones every month).
It’s worth noting you have to download the map updates on your computer and install them manually by copying them to a USB stick and installing via the infotainment, it doesn’t download them over the air as it does software updates (due to their size at anything up to 12GB).

The sim gives satellite map view and online searching of points of interest etc.

The following users liked this post:
AirRyan (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I did not receive free map updates with my CPO purchase. It's still on warranty but it seems to want to make me buy the updates when I go online. Local dealer also told me I'd have to pay for the updates.

Quick Reply: Satellite Maps?