Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering and suspension

So I've been pretty unhappy with the way my 2019 Discovery drives and rides. Just completed a 300 mile highway trip and found myself constantly having to correct the steering as the car would veer to the right or left and follow any patterns in the road or even a slight crown on the road surface....... My RRS would run dead straight on the highway with minimal steering input unless I was turning.

Additionally the car rides so rough over any bumps in the road.....I would have thought the air springs would ride much better....I found out pounding on any road imperfections.

The car is a 2019 hse luxury td6 with air suspension and the wind speed transfer case and locking rear differential.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I went with light load tire pressure, as the recommended full load tire pressure ride was a bit harsh for my liking. I go about 36PSI front and 40 PSI back vs the 51 PSI.
There may be an issue with your vehicle in regards to the steering and potentially suspension. Does it lower and raise properly between access, normal and offload heights? Maybe cycle between these few times and make sure it is working correctly.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by andries
I went with light load tire pressure, as the recommended full load tire pressure ride was a bit harsh for my liking. I go about 36PSI front and 40 PSI back vs the 51 PSI.
There may be an issue with your vehicle in regards to the steering and potentially suspension. Does it lower and raise properly between access, normal and offload heights? Maybe cycle between these few times and make sure it is working correctly.

Thank you for the reply, I have them at 42 front and 47 rear....didn't love how the ride was when they were in the 30 psi range.

Air suspension works perfectly fine and cycles through perfectly. So you don't find the steering to feel like it's wandering when you're on a highway?

When you're on regular roads do you find the steering wheel leaning more to one side?

Old 12-06-2019, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Sounds like you might have an alignment issue. The wondering and cocked steering wheel, make me think something is off

Old 12-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Do you have lane keep assist and is it turned on? Wonder if that's causing the feel of steering adjustment?

My 2018 is very smooth, absorbs the bumps well and drives dead straight
Certainly check alignment too

Old 12-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I also lowered the tyre pressures as they were too high from the dealership, having been set for a full load when there’s only myself and my wife. I’ve always found running the pressures too high may save some fuel but it really affects the rude badly (but don’t go too low as that also affects the ride).
I read many reviews before buying that complained of having to keep making adjustments to the steering to keep the vehicle going in a straight line in the highway however I have yet to experience that, it maintains a straight track no problem. The wheel is always perfectly straight also, Maybe I’m lucky with the local roads or maybe those experiencing wandering have an alignment problem?
I’m the roads are quite rough however and I had thought the air ride would soak up imperfections better than it does, especially based on reviews I’d read. However driving a non air ride equipped Evoque made me realize the air ride on my D5 is soaking up a lot, and at least taking the edge off larger hits, it can’t work miracles though.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 12-06-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:18 AM
Rock Crawling

I have not had an issue with wandering and constant steering correction, check for front tire feathering or irregular wear on i side/outside edges. Seems alignment is off or something may be loose. Lane keep assist is set to steer back on mine and you can feel the steering wheel push at times, but doesn’t sound like what you described.

The ride is on the firmer side on ours, especially lightly loaded. And I still think it feels firmer at times than others.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:07 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

You should get your Disco checked out because with the air suspension these vehicles really absorb bumps well on the road. I've received several compliments on the ride quality on our vehicle. Our previous vehicle was a 2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography and the ride quality was more harsh in that vehicle compared to the Disco. And if you read the various online reviews, they repeatedly talk about how the Discovery absorbs all the road imperfections making for a smooth ride. Good luck; hope you get it sorted out.
-----------------------------------------
Tucker
2020 Discovery HSE Luxury Si6 Fuji White

Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Should I bring it to another LR dealer? Or would a really good independent alignment shop be able to diagnose this?

Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling

I would take it to the dealer first. Demand to see alignment specs, so they actually put it on a rack vs just saying they test drove and didn’t notice an issue. They can also check out the harsh ride.

Quick Reply: Steering and suspension