New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCU Location - SOS Limited Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 05:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, thanks again Donc! This is all so helpful, and perfect timing.

Having trouble finding a battery (the Bay listing is out-of-stock), put I'll post anything I come across once I get my hands on one.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DeckB
Man, thanks again Donc! This is all so helpful, and perfect timing.

Having trouble finding a battery (the Bay listing is out-of-stock), put I'll post anything I come across once I get my hands on one.
glad I could help! I checked the listing on ebay and Amazon for the battery and yes they are both sold out..I did find it another place but I have never ordered from them before. Did you try your local dealer? Mine listed it for 135..Hopefully I can tear into the old one laster tonight and see what batteries they use..
https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...l-battery.html

Old 10-04-2022, 04:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

here are the pictures with the plastic cover removed from the battery pack.

Link to manufacture:
Primary Lithium Battery-EVE (evebattery.com) the PLM-1550 batteries are listed under the Long-life high-power Li-ion battery PLM section. No luck on amazon or ebay for the exact part number.

Last edited by Donc98; 10-04-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

So it appears the batteries are wired in parallel (the total voltage of the 2 batteries is equal to the total voltage of 1 battery alone, but the mA will be double the single battery).
We just need to figure out the mA rating and the voltage of the battery. And the dimensions. Then we can just match it up to some other Li-ion battery.
Does the size have to be exact to fit or is there some extra space available.
Also, does the wired connector go directly to the positive and negative ends of the battery or is there some other electronic circuit in between? It appears the positive wire goes directly but it's hard to tell in the picture about the negative wire.
Thanks very much for your posting.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Disconnect all SOS functionality - I really don't care for it...

Originally Posted by Donc98
Dealing with this exact issue right now. It just popped up on last Friday night after I started the vehicle. I used the GAP tool to check on the exact code and GAP shows mine as rhe battery being bad and needing to replace. The telemetrics unit is located on the left side (drivers -US) c pillar below the seat belt upper mount. If you pull the door seal up along this area and shine a light in there you can see the connections going to it. Now some good news. It is about a 20 minute job to get to with just a 10mm socket and and a small torx bit needed. Bad news. $100 plus for 2 AA sized batteries. Local dealership had it listed for $135 but not in stock. online at places like Lake Bluff LR was from 45 to 60 but most were out or stock or would not ship due to the hazardous material. LR British parts has it listed in ebay for 99. Mine is due in Thursday and I will post some pics of the install if you like. Manufacture date of the bad battery was 8/17 on mine so it was about time it went out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36376131913...mis&media=COPY
Does anybody know just how to get rid of the SOS message without replacing the battery at the stealership? IOW can I disconnect something to have it disappear?

While this functionality may have been good once upon a time, the ubiquitousness of cell phones and coverage make this pretty moot in the US or Europe.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2022, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Great post and very timely!
My 2017 HSE just started displaying that message as well. Was getting ready to make an appointment, but I think I'll try to order the battery and replace it myself instead.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Out of stock, on backorder

Originally Posted by DiscoNight5
Great post and very timely!
My 2017 HSE just started displaying that message as well. Was getting ready to make an appointment, but I think I'll try to order the battery and replace it myself instead.
Every place I've contacted gives me the same song. If anybody knows who has these please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited by SnowLeopard; 10-18-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Next person to get their hands on a genuine battery pack please measure the voltage.
With that and what's been posted we should be able to make our own packs for just a few dollars.
You can buy batteries with the tabs already spot welded to the battery, then you just have to solder the wires to the tabs.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Next person to get their hands on a genuine battery pack please measure the voltage.
With that and what's been posted we should be able to make our own packs for just a few dollars.
You can buy batteries with the tabs already spot welded to the battery, then you just have to solder the wires to the tabs.
I just disassembled the whole pack, measured 4.0v.

I seriously can't find a reasonable replacement for this. I can make the pack, but cannot find anything similar.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Was 4V on the old pack that was throwing the error code? That would still seem to be correct voltage since the photos say max charge at 4.2V.
Is there room to install a different size pack (different size or quantity cells)?

Last edited by ponderosajack; 10-18-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: TCU Location - SOS Limited Functionality