New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 12:06 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running BFG KO2s in the 275-55-20 size and am very satisfied. Between Christmas and New Year's, I took a four-day trip with the Arizona Land Rovers Owners association on the Old Mojave Road in Nevada and California. We encountered a wide variety of conditions -- rocks, sand, mud (lots of mud) and even snow. The KO2s performed extremely well. Even though they have a fairly aggressive tread, they are quiet on the highway. They are also three-peak mountain snowflake rated, which is useful to me because it is required by law during the winter in Quebec where I live much of the year. As others have noted, they fit fine without a lift and there's no rubbing, even at access height.

The following users liked this post:
Disco-D (01-27-2021)
Old 01-21-2020, 12:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The previous Pirelli ATR was a GREAT tire. I had these "H rated" versions below on my Touareg and just ran them year round. Also ran the ClubTouareg Rally with them. Did just fine. Sadly, like the G2 of the Nitto Terra Grappler, I think it was Ford that wanted the Pirelli ATR on their F150 out of the factory so they went cheaper, S rated, and their reputation went to crap.

Anxious to hear reports on the new AT Plus . . .

This brings back some memories . . .

Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

What did you mean by:

"Sadly, like the G2 of the Nitto Terra Grappler, "

Old 01-21-2020, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Well Fedex delivered 3 tires today and I’m pretty pissed lol. But the three new AT Pirelli look great. Better than the old ATR (I bought one off eBay used for $40 as my spare lol).

Old 01-22-2020, 12:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The G2s are mostly Q and R speed rated now with a few S and T and the customer ratings have gone from nearly 5 star down to just 4. Most G2 complaints are ride comfort, balance, and tread life. This was [I was told specifically by the local dealer] to make the tire more affordable for mass production applications. They don't hardly have any original Terra Grapplers listed anymore but most of the original Grapplers were T and H with a few S rated. The ones on my Pepper were H rated. I bought them for winter and summer 4WD excursions. The rest of the time I had Pirelli Verdes on 20s. I eventually just started running the [original] Grapplers year round because of their quite good road manners. Now, you do not need high speed ATR tires but in order to make tires to the higher speed standard requires a more stringent manufacturing process that "generally" makes a better tire.

This same thing happened to the original Pirelli ATR I reported above. Those Pirellis on my Touareg had "incredible" road manners period and survived fairly serious abuse on the Touareg Rally without any tread chunk or sidewall damage or flats etc. The second version of that done for Ford F150 practically ruined the tire. I have heard the new AT + takes this into account so I'm anxious to hear reports on how they do?

Not trying to start a pissing match. Just sharing what I have learned buying tires for 4 SUVs and 2 trucks over the last 10 years. For the record, the Touareg and Cayenne were mine back before I got sick. The wife had a Volvo back then. The Q5 and Disco were/are my wife's when SUV ownership for my daily driver no longer made sense [especially something as nice as a Pepper!]. Trucks are just utility for here at the farm.

Last edited by canon_mutant; 01-22-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Got the new shoes on. Really liking these Pirelli’s they seemed like a nice quiet ride in the highway. It’s raining in Houston so I did a little jackass level driving in an abandoned lot and they gripped great lol.

It’s really something, how much better I think it looks. More true to itself.

The following users liked this post:
justinfro (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

i like the look.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
i like the look.
liking them. They’re a little white from the fresh install and the camera does its fisheye thing but they look GREAT in person.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ToiletDuck any update on the tires? Considering these for my vehicle but haven't seen many reviews of long term testing.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by epiclr5
@ToiletDuck any update on the tires? Considering these for my vehicle but haven't seen many reviews of long term testing.
They’ve been excellent. Great ride, very quiet. They were made on a test track with reduced cross section grooving so very quiet. Would def buy again. Wear is good so far. Just had them rotated.

Quick Reply: Tire opinions?