New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Hitch Wiring Help -- Prewired?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 11:28 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hitch Wiring Help -- Prewired?

Hey all, new here and this is my first post so if I am doing it wrong or I've put this in the wrong place -- my apologies.
Two things...
One, I am going to order a StealthHitches hitch for my 2017 Disco because I plan to use it twice a year to put the boat in, and pull the boat out. Twice a year, IMO, doesn't require me to have an OEM hitch visible the rest of the year, OR to pay the couple grand the dealership wants to install it. Has anyone else installed the StealthHitches hitch, and if so, any warnings or watch-outs?

But most importantly -- wiring for the harness is my biggest concern, as splicing wires, etc, as the directions show feels like an opportunity for mistakes. BUT, when I crawled under the car to look around I found what look like pre-wired connections for a hitch? I've attached two photos. Is this what I think it is? If not, what is it for?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for any info/guidance.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, those are the correct connectors for the factory trailer wiring. If you want to use the Stealth Hitch, but want to use the LR wiring and programmed trailer control, then you can't use the universal type wiring kit that comes with the StealHitch kit.
The LR trailer wiring that uses to these two connectors in you photo is not available to purchase. You have to build one if you want to use it, but its not so bad.

I recently went through the trouble of finding the correct connectors, pins, and seals to create this wiring harness that goes from these connectors to the trailer 7-pin connector (North American market). The connectors and pins are made by Yazaki and I have the pin-out for it. I posted a question about this a couple weeks ago on this forum and I answered it with the diagram.

I can provide more info if needed.

The following users liked this post:
Ronan17DiscoHSE (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 11:20 AM
4th Gear

Thanks so much... and of course they're not available for sale, LOL.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:56 AM
4th Gear

@Julian,

Couple things I'm curious about -- and wonder if you know since your post on this topic clearly demonstrates your knowledge on the topic is light years ahead of mine.
I am not concerned about the programmed trailer control as I tow twice a year, about 2 miles each way, just to drop the boat in the lake and take it out. All I really want is for the brakes and lights to function legally. So the questions are...
  1. Do you know if any of the wiring harnesses out there (For RR Sport, for Disco Sport, for LR4, etc) will give me the minimum legal functionality from using the prewired harness.
  2. If I were to build one as you did... where does one buy the correct parts and pieces. I googled Yazaki but their catalog only confused me further.
  3. And finally (just curious about your opinion) did you find the bumper removal, installation, bumper replacement process simple enough? I watched a few on YouTube and it seems like the Disco rear bumper cover comes on and off pretty easy.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I couldn't find a trailer wiring harness from one of the other LR vehicle that would work. I know the available harnesses for the Disco Sport, the LR4, and previous RR/RRS are different, not sure about the current RR and RRS since I could find it available separately.
2. I could send you a list of pins and seals (Yazaki 6.3 series and 3.8 series) that I used, but you still need a fairly special crimper, which I just happen to have at work. If you really want to use the pre-wiring harness, then I still have enough of the pins and seals left over and I can crimp them on sufficient length wire leads for you. Let me know once you purchase the StealthHitches kit.
3. Fairly straight-forward removal and install of the bumper, but the tabs can be a little tricky. The StealthHitches kit come with pretty good instructions for this part.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:21 AM
4th Gear

Update...

I just installed as instructed by StealthHitches.
it was, overall, easy in terms of confusion/mental difficulty. That said, being someone who DOES NOT have much automotive experience beyond detailing, the "2.5 - 3.5 hour" estimated time was more like.... 7 - 9 hours. (Some of that related to needing to run out for dielectric grease and a different fork connector because the included one was made of a totally un-crimpable material!

Something to note -- my Dico is an HSE and I think the one that StealthHitches used was a base model because parts of the interior of the cargo area were totally different. You just have to ignore that and pull the panels out to access stuff. Also, the bumper comes off really easily. The stuff they recommend as a "two man job" really isn't. Though, perhaps with two ppl it wouldn't have taken me all damn day to do it.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

My Disco didn't come with the hitch either, but I ordered the LR factory parts and installed myself. I also didn't care about the trailer controls and such. However I found out that you can get the programming done for about $100 which turns on the trailer detection and anti sway program. I also found out that the Disco will not detect a trailer running LED lights. I had to build a resistor network to get that working for my boat trailer. Without the detection the dash will not show the trailer light icon when using the turn signal. For only 2 miles probably not a big deal, but in tow a 26' boat 300-500 miles a few time per year.

As far as the electrical connections, the factory kit came with them attached to the tow bar with the pig tails ready to plug into the car harness. I would think you could source them from LR as a replacement part.