Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch bounce

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Trailer hitch bounce

The square hitch on this thing seems to have a lot play in it. Pulling any trailer makes it sound like it’s about to bounce off. Any suggestions with this? Could it be too short maybe?

Old 07-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Is it a quick release set up like the LR4?

Old 07-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I think the receiver is larger than 2". I don't think you have to worry about the trailer jumping off if you have the proper tongue weight, but it does make a racket. I thought about wrapping a couple rounds of electrical tape around the shank of the hitch to quiet it down?

Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by David Hirshberg
Mine does the same thing. I think the receiver is larger than 2". I don't think you have to worry about the trailer jumping off if you have the proper tongue weight, but it does make a racket. I thought about wrapping a couple rounds of electrical tape around the shank of the hitch to quiet it down?
I just pulled the hitch after towing the boat and compared it to my fathers on his tundra. The hitch sits shallow sticking out a couple inches further than on his. The hole is way far forward so there’s room to pivot. My dads hitch’s hold for the pub is farther back so the tubing grabs much closer to the ball not giving it near the room to wiggle. All I can think is trying to either find a longer hitch so it reaches farther back in the tube or welding an attachment onto it. I don’t think a sleeve or anything will last. Maybe start with a few rounds of duct tape.

6000lbs of boat with fuel sloshing around gives a rough as hell experience that CANT be good for it.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I have only used mine once for a bike rack in it had no play. I think my bike rack has a slight taper to the pin that secures the bike rack (which is the draw bar portion) to the receiver.
Maybe you can get one of these tapered pins to use with your draw bar and secure it better.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Had the same issue on my Pepper. Just a little bit of play in the ball mount insert to just constantly make racket. These are not the brand that I used [been too long I forget] but same idea . . .

Old 07-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I had used thin double sided tape, but only put it on the hitch, without removing one side of the tape if that makes sense. I don't have this problem on the LR3, but I think I did on the Range Rover. I did do something on the trailer that I tow all the time, I added 100 lbs in tongue weight as the trailer has a tailgate, with that weight the front of the trailer is was a little light when empty and would rattle like no tomorrow. With weight it was fine, or without the tailgate as that is removable. Basically the tape prevented steel on steel, and that eliminated majority of the extreme noise. The two 50 lb weights simply made it perfect, and it rides much better.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the receivers I have for my D2’s rattle you just have to live with it or make temporary modifications “shim” when pulling light trailers with little to no tung weight

Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Same here...makes quite a noise.
A few winds around with the electrical tape does the trick.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Groucho123
Same here...makes quite a noise.
A few winds around with the electrical tape does the trick.
I want to get a hole drilled closer to the ball so it slides further back. Sticks out too far.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch bounce