Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh-Oh...This doesn't look good.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 01:44 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Uh-Oh...This doesn't look good.

They only sold 5000 discoveries. No wonder I rarely see them on the street!
Ailing Jaguar Land Rover Has Options, But None Look Tempting (forbes.com)

Old 03-01-2023, 08:51 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

That makes sense. They are much less common to see in TN / GA than the Defender, RRS, RR. I enjoy the stop start, except for that one time it didn't start again and understand it's there for cutting emissions. I'm not eager for electrification as I think is it adds complexity, more expensive repairs, and potential unreliability, therefore increased long term expense. Maybe I'm wrong. Are they really lagging in sales because of poor electrification across the brand?

Guessing here - did they produce fewer Discos because those chips/resources went to the hot demand Defenders? Also thinking most new buyers are wanting the fresh new Defender rather than the 6/7 year old Disco.

Discos are 0/12 new vehicles at LR Chattanooga and 1/41 in LR Buckhead, GA. I suppose that's not far off on the model being 1.6% of LR vehicles sold... /rant

Old 03-01-2023, 11:23 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree that a "lack of electrification" has anything to do with it. Having a back log on the most popular model would be closer to the truth; interested buyers will go elsewhere after being told about a long lead time, which translates into lost sales.

I, for one, am in no hurry whatsoever to get an electric vehicle; I have no issue with a combustion engine. Electric vehicles are not as environmentally friendly as people think, especially where I live. Most of our electricity comes from coal fired power plants. And the range issue; OK in town but it's not possible to carry an extra hundred miles in a can on an overland trip with an EV. Plus, electric/hybrid vehicles account for less than 10 percent of new vehicles sold in the US so even if JLR had an EV right now, what difference would it make?

You're probably right about Defenders gobbling up available resources and crowding out Discoveries. I like the way they Defenders look but I like the comfort of my Disco, which I like the look of too.

On a lighter note, I just ran Babydisco (that's her name) up the hill and back to Santa Fe; what a truly enjoyable driving experience! I will invent errands and trips just so I can take her out! I certainly hope JLR survives; they've been through a whole lot since it was Rover Car a hundred years ago and they're still here!

The following users liked this post:
TheManMac (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by David42six
I agree that a "lack of electrification" has anything to do with it. Having a back log on the most popular model would be closer to the truth; interested buyers will go elsewhere after being told about a long lead time, which translates into lost sales.

I, for one, am in no hurry whatsoever to get an electric vehicle; I have no issue with a combustion engine. Electric vehicles are not as environmentally friendly as people think, especially where I live. Most of our electricity comes from coal fired power plants. And the range issue; OK in town but it's not possible to carry an extra hundred miles in a can on an overland trip with an EV. Plus, electric/hybrid vehicles account for less than 10 percent of new vehicles sold in the US so even if JLR had an EV right now, what difference would it make?

You're probably right about Defenders gobbling up available resources and crowding out Discoveries. I like the way they Defenders look but I like the comfort of my Disco, which I like the look of too.

On a lighter note, I just ran Babydisco (that's her name) up the hill and back to Santa Fe; what a truly enjoyable driving experience! I will invent errands and trips just so I can take her out! I certainly hope JLR survives; they've been through a whole lot since it was Rover Car a hundred years ago and they're still here!
I'm running a 2018 TD6 on renewable diesel - well to wheels it has less CO2 emissions than an EV.

The following users liked this post:
Mechano2020 (03-26-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sowrco
I'm running a 2018 TD6 on renewable diesel - well to wheels it has less CO2 emissions than an EV.
yeah, the stigma attached to diesels in the US is unfortunate (especially in the consumer space). Loved the TD6 when I had it before moving to a P360 D5. Wish we could get the D300 MHEV here.

Old 03-12-2023, 12:39 PM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=sowrco;857647]Sto utilizzando un TD6 2018 con diesel rinnovabile: beh, alle ruote ha meno emissioni di CO2 rispetto a un veicolo elettrico.[/QUOTE
]
True!!

Old 03-12-2023, 01:06 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by David42six
as an example, one can't build a new Disco now with the true Interactive Driver Display, only with that analog/digital hybrid. the fancy parts are all going to the Defender.

just told my dealer contact the other day I'm better off keeping (and likely buying) my leased D5 rather than ordering anything new, because I can't get an equivalently spec'd vehicle to it anymore.

The following 2 users liked this post by eelpout:
angelboing (03-17-2023), TheManMac (03-12-2023)