Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty about to expire - Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Warranty about to expire - Extended warranty

So my 2017 D5's warranty is about to expire and my dealer offered an extended 50k miles/3 year extended warranty with the same coverage for $10,400. Car has been always serviced at the dealer and has only had a couple warranty covered repairs (couple check engine lights due to sensors, a tail gate issue and an issue with the auto start/stop system). Quoted price seems high for me (have not yet tried to negotiate it down) and I have never had an extended warranty, so I am skeptical, but would love to hear people's thoughts/experiences.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

I think you'd be out of your mind to even consider a $10K warranty.

The following 3 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
Groucho123 (05-01-2021), GrouseK9 (06-13-2021), Juancl (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

You can buy the warranty from any dealer so I suggest getting a quote from two others and use them to negotiate it down as that’s about double what I thought they’d ask for as an opener on a 3 yr warranty…
(but I have no experience in actually buying one and I’m just going on what I’ve read online).

The following users liked this post:
Juancl (04-29-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I dont have experience with extended warranty purchases but I have an extended warranty with my vehicle when I bought it but its crazy to spend 10k on warranty.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Winching
Received 302 Likes on 185 Posts

I bought Aftermarket Continental warranty. $3,995.00 last til I reach 100K

Old 04-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy it when your Discovery was new or when the warranty was getting close to expiring? Through the dealer?

Coming up on 10k miles here, considering buying a plan ($3300 for 6 years/75k total, $4900 for 7 years/100k). Toughest part is: after two dozen vehicles, never sure how long I'll hold onto one (sometimes months, most a year or two, very rarely over 3 years).

Old 04-30-2021, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by null1
Did you buy it when your Discovery was new or when the warranty was getting close to expiring? Through the dealer?

Coming up on 10k miles here, considering buying a plan ($3300 for 6 years/75k total, $4900 for 7 years/100k). Toughest part is: after two dozen vehicles, never sure how long I'll hold onto one (sometimes months, most a year or two, very rarely over 3 years).
I've never bought an extended warranty but isn't there either a cancellation clause that refunds some percentage if you don't use it, or does it allow transfer to a subsequent owner if you sell the D5? That would certainly be worth something to a buyer.
However, I'm not sure if you'd ever get them to refund that percentage if you cancel, it might be difficult to get them to meet their contractual obligations, assuming they don't go out of business.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

As always, the forum does not disappoint. After going through your comments, it is confirmed that the quoted price is absurd. @gmfain did you purchase your warranty when you bought the car new or after purchase? As mentioned, I have never bought an extended warranty and have always been skeptical of them or any sort of protection plans (wheels, tires, etc.). With that said I guess a 3 year 50k miles extended warranty would be worth about $4K to me. So I will offer that to them and see how they respond. Was at the dealer this week for annual service and after driving a loaner for a couple days my wife is already hinting that it might be time to think about replacing the D5 with a new one that has the latest bells and whistles... As someone said here, the tough part about a warranty is knowing how much you'll really keep the car (will check with them on what happens if I sell the car).

Old 04-30-2021, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Also worth noting that these are not warranties that are comparable with the new car warranty. Even the Land Rover CPO and extended warranty program has limitations. Eg it doesn't cover rubber bushings, seals, gaskets etc. Nor anything considered a 'wear item'. So I'd also factor into the cost that it won't pay for everything. Eg I had to replace the front control arms on my LR4 within the CPO warranty period and it was not covered

That said for the right price they are good peace of mind. I've had three CPO vehicles from JLR with extended warranties and been very happy. On two I never used them (but was good to know I was covered). On the other it covered a water pump and a few other small items. So I lost in $ on all three. But that meant I had reliable cars

Price wise the CPO seems to add a couple of thousand to the sticker when buying the car and additional warranty years were between $1000 and $1500 per year (dealer sets their own price and will negotiate). So I'd agree if it is 3 years for the $4k mark that's a solid deal
Alternative is to put $4k in a savings account and use it to pay for repairs if needed

The following users liked this post:
Juancl (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

It’s an insurance policy. If we don’t get to claim on our insurance was the insurance a waste of money?
While I wouldn’t expect them to cover wear items I’m surprised they don’t cover gaskets…
The problem is that everything on a Land Rover is really expensive, in a worse case scenario you’re out $30k on a new engine, who knows that a multimedia system costs, and even things like electric seats (or rather their motors) are extremely pricey. It doesn’t take much to get your money’s worth.
That said, it is a waste if you don’t keep the vehicle.
I didn’t buy the extended warranty when I leased the vehicle new as I wasn’t sure if I’d want to keep it. It’s still to soon to know if I want to based on problems and time, but I decide to buy it out after the lease is up I will absolutely get the warranty for another 3 years and I will stick with the vehicle to get my moneys worth.
Alternatively I may decide to switch to the Defender at that point on a new lease, or even walk away from the brand altogether.
So I guess I’m saying decide if you’re going to keep the vehicle and for how long before you worry about the warranty price and if you decide to keep it, you have a pretty good idea of the ballpark the warranty should be.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneStarLR:
Groucho123 (05-01-2021), Juancl (04-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Warranty about to expire - Extended warranty