Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing your Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 12:43 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Washing your Discovery

This is going to sound…silly. But, how do you wash the top of your Discovery? I don’t like car washes, and this car is…BIG! Standing on the door sills; no help. Ladder? Too far away. Sponge on a pole? Can’t scrub those things that fall out of the sky…from our fine feathered friends. Plus there’s a lot of glass up there. Don’t want streaks, right?

Open to any and all suggestions

Old 06-27-2021, 08:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pava-Rottie
This is going to sound…silly. But, how do you wash the top of your Discovery? I don’t like car washes, and this car is…BIG! Standing on the door sills; no help. Ladder? Too far away. Sponge on a pole? Can’t scrub those things that fall out of the sky…from our fine feathered friends. Plus there’s a lot of glass up there. Don’t want streaks, right?

Open to any and all suggestions
Yep, compared to other SUVs I’ve had it is a bit tougher to get the entire roof. I’ve found there’s a spot to place one foot towards the rear of the second row seat (under the seat), which combined with a hand on a roof rail works well

Old 06-27-2021, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

And of course if you have air suspension make sure it's in low access mode. Helps a lot

Old 06-27-2021, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by null1
Yep, compared to other SUVs I’ve had it is a bit tougher to get the entire roof. I’ve found there’s a spot to place one foot towards the rear of the second row seat (under the seat), which combined with a hand on a roof rail works well
and, of course, I didn’t order roof rails. I’ve never used them on any vehicle and when I sat down to fill out the build sheet all I could think of was Clark Griswold. lol

Old 06-27-2021, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BritCars
And of course if you have air suspension make sure it's in low access mode. Helps a lot
that would only shorten the distance between the floorboard and the ground. The distance between the floorboard and the roof would be the same. If the sunroof opened wider I could straddle the front seats and, well,… it doesn’t.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Step stools are our friend.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to like the L3's ability to close the trunk top door, leaving the bottom door as a step ladder to loads ski boxes (ice tyres get meh quick) and bikes. I've been thinking about one of these for a while as a friend you can take with:
https://www.overlandsite.com/accesso...or-latch-step/

The following 2 users liked this post by dinkeldorf:
angelboing (06-28-2021), Pava-Rottie (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Pava-Rottie
that would only shorten the distance between the floorboard and the ground. The distance between the floorboard and the roof would be the same. If the sunroof opened wider I could straddle the front seats and, well,… it doesn’t.
I can reach most of the roof when it's in access mode and just quickly step up on the rear door floors for the very center. When in normal ride height it's hard to get to much from the ground...

Old 06-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
I used to like the L3's ability to close the trunk top door, leaving the bottom door as a step ladder to loads ski boxes (ice tyres get meh quick) and bikes. I've been thinking about one of these for a while as a friend you can take with:
https://www.overlandsite.com/accesso...or-latch-step/

THAT just may be the solution! And only $50. Nice find. You have saved the day!

Old 06-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

A 3 step step stool with a grab handle at the top. I can reach my entire roof with a sponge in my hand placing the step stool in two or 3 locations on each side.
A bit tricky on a sloping driveway but easy enough when level. I do like to grab hold of my roof rail when I extend my reach. Still need to pay attention to not slip in the water.

In the summer I wash it this way.
In the winter I use a triangular shaped sponge mounted on a pole, sold at the local auto parts store (Oreilly - Carrand Wash Brush Head, Part # 93111 or similar).

The following users liked this post:
Pava-Rottie (06-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Washing your Discovery