New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing your Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Some of the questions asked here are amazing. How to reach the top of your Land Rover to wash it is a top 5.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I have one of those door steps, but it's better for loading a roof rack. I'm not sure why you'd want to wash your roof with a door open.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I was thinking those hard to reach spots and wash bays.

Originally Posted by 1979rover
I have one of those door steps, but it's better for loading a roof rack. I'm not sure why you'd want to wash your roof with a door open.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn it, I am getting too old for these forums: may I be so crass as to suggest that if you can't figure out how to reach the top of your truck without going on a public forum to ask, you need to hire some kid to do it for you. Most home stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace) sell small, one step ladders that work just fine for everybody (political correctness warning) except midgets, if you have lowered the truck!

C'mon man!

I must note -- this difficult technical question pales in comparison to the moron in the UK -- on jaguarsforum.com -- who wants to sue the seller of his 20 year old jaguar with 160000 miles because he lied on which model the car is (XJ8 Executive or Sport) even tho Jaguar Land Rover can't discern the truth from the VIN number -- he only paid 2000 quid for a car that looks brands new -- especially the freshly washed roof!

Last edited by Jhartz; 06-29-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:33 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Some of the questions asked here are amazing. How to reach the top of your Land Rover to wash it is a top 5.
map how do you clean your sun and pano roof panels? Or do you just leave the water spots and streaks there for ambiance?

Old 06-29-2021, 01:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Squeegee off the excess water and then dry with a chamois or use a towel. Here's a hint: don't wash it when it 115* in Phoenix, might break your windshield

Old 06-29-2021, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Damn it, I am getting too old for these forums: may I be so crass as to suggest that if you can't figure out how to reach the top of your truck without going on a public forum to ask, you need to hire some kid to do it for you. Most home stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace) sell small, one step ladders that work just fine for everybody (political correctness warning) except midgets, if you have lowered the truck!

C'mon man!

I must note -- this difficult technical question pales in comparison to the moron in the UK -- on jaguarsforum.com -- who wants to sue the seller of his 20 year old jaguar with 160000 miles because he lied on which model the car is (XJ8 Executive or Sport) even tho Jaguar Land Rover can't discern the truth from the VIN number -- he only paid 2000 quid for a car that looks brands new -- especially the freshly washed roof!
When I read this I was absolutely furious. So much so that I had to take the dog and walk it off. Calm down, so to speak. I’ve had to endure comments like this, be it on a public forum such as this, or standing in line at the grocery store, for several years now. People speaking under their breath BUT loud enough to hear. Normally I just ignore it. Not this time! Not today.

Sir, I don’t blame you. There is no way for you to know what my situation is. That things you do every day, without giving a moment’s thought to, are a great accomplishment for people like myself. I refuse to use my physical limitations as a crutch, so I don’t mention them.
I shouldn’t have to really. My dog picks things up for me, but not always. Again, I prefer doing for myself. I purchased this car for him really. Because I need him…sometimes. I take great pride in all the things I AM able to do. I may not be able to some day. So just imagine how it feels to be able to wash your own car…EVEN THE ROOF. I guess the sense of accomplishment I feel afterwards would be comparable to the sense of accomplishment the poster felt after hitting the “submit reply” tab. Bravo sir!

My apologies to all. Like I said previously, I normally ignore comments like this. But sometimes you just have to stand up to the bully’s in this world. No matter how much it hurts to do so.

I wonder if he’s been Knighted?

Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1979rover

mostly for cleaning the glass. I suppose I could have worded my question a little better. The door step will definitely help. Plus I can stand on it with both legs and not worry too much about falling.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:38 PM
Three Wheeling

It is good you were able to walk it off. If I had known you were encumbered, I might have been far less frivolous. My original suggestion stands on the merit of the issue: hire a kid to do it. At my age, I am never politically correct, I am vaccinated; and I don't apologize, don't accept pity and won't be bullied, either. PEACE

Last edited by Jhartz; 06-29-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm really not sure that door latch step is a good idea. That latch isn't made for the torque that step will apply. Maybe it's okay. Maybe it will tweak it and cause a problem. On the Land Rover the latches seem pretty sturdy.
A small step stool won't damage that door latch.

Quick Reply: Washing your Discovery