New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in right rear passenger foot area - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 12:09 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Water in right rear passenger foot area - HELP! *** FIXED ***

—————————-
EDIT:
https://youtu.be/JpMbSVBMQYI
adding a quick video of my initial discovery, yeah I sound pissed and I mean it. Things were actually a lot worst than what you see on this video, when carpet under 2r seats (3r feet area) was pulled out, it was just dripping water…
———————-
FIX:
https://youtu.be/TfDyb6swXok

make sure rubber grommet on the battery vent tube is flush with chassi to seal it. Mine was popped off and it was leaking when car was parked leaning to the right and backwards - super weird and time consuming to replicate discover - ask me how I know, I spend probably good 2-3 days sipping water around, going in and out, my neighbors probably thought I had gone nuts after buying the disco…
———————-

I just confirmed some sort of condensation in right rear seat feet area. I got me the Weather Tech rubber mats not long ago, and I guess with the rubber trapping moisture, it is pretty wet again under there after last nights rain. I saw this first last week, I had the car under sun all open so i know it all had dried up… I was thinking some ac related, but again it rained last night, so it’s gotta be from the rain. Does not seem to be door seal related, edge is dry, it is wet about 3 inches from the edge…

Is this another common thing with the D5s? Front carpet seems dry, I checked 100 times lol.

I am beginning to get second thoughts about the D. I love it, but it’s been too many issues with only 3 months of ownership…

Last edited by islavov; 04-20-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:59 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The passenger footwell is higher than the front, so I don't see how a leak at the front could make its way to the rear footwell. I would start with the sunroof rear passenger drain. If the drain is clogged, I would think you'd have water on top of the floor mat. If the drain hose is not draining out where it should, it could explain water in the rear footwell. I would open the sunroof and carefully and slowly pour water so it runs down the drain. If the drain is working, you'll see water dribble out of the car and on to the ground. If the water does not flow out on to the ground, then you've found your issue. I'll include a couple videos, one is for an LR4 but it could be relevant.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/2017...f-leaks/142550

Old 04-16-2023, 04:51 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If an electric pedal is installed, check the wiring harness for leaks.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:03 PM
Drifting

It is a lot more serous than what I thought. Glad I decided to strip it out, seats out, etc, carpet under rear seats is soaking wet, probably half a gallon water - omg LR!!!

It can’t be front of the car, front is fully dry. I have been googling some people had issues with roof rails attachment points/drains, or I am thinking it could be the rear AC, I know not all cars have it I believe.

Majority of water was under the rear seats, carpet I took out was dripping water(omg). I could see water all they way under the very rear seats, I ran out of time but will have to take those seats out too. it may be the AC, need to disassemble more to be certain.

But in any case, I am very disappointed with LR, it’s my first, and could be my last…
I love the feel of the drive, but all problems and hassles make it not worth it. Maybe cause I don’t have warranty but I have much older cars and never dealt the leaks… I mean, this is a basic thing… c’mon LR, I am loosing it!!!

Old 04-17-2023, 12:33 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think A/C condensate would be responsible for all that water; that has to be from the rain.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:31 AM
Drifting

While I am figuring out 3d row seats removal, can someone share some information about any drain tubes towards the rear? - I mean Location, how to access?
Any roof rail removal tips?

I have to get to the bottom of this, anything will help if you had to deal with this.

thanks,
Ivan

Old 04-17-2023, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by David42six
The passenger footwell is higher than the front, so I don't see how a leak at the front could make its way to the rear footwell. I would start with the sunroof rear passenger drain. If the drain is clogged, I would think you'd have water on top of the floor mat. If the drain hose is not draining out where it should, it could explain water in the rear footwell. I would open the sunroof and carefully and slowly pour water so it runs down the drain. If the drain is working, you'll see water dribble out of the car and on to the ground. If the water does not flow out on to the ground, then you've found your issue. I'll include a couple videos, one is for an LR4 but it could be relevant.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/2017...f-leaks/142550
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk7mXk3O8zM&t=261s
thanks for the tips! I will try that.
I wonder if roof rails and the rear sky glass have similar drains as front sunroof can’t be leaking that far back.

Land Rover should have bulletins for these kinds of stuff when “every other car” leaks, this is embarrassing, LR!

Old 04-17-2023, 09:15 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the liquid clear...or was it blue?
Is your washer fluid reservoir empty?
The supply line that runs from the washer fluid reservoir under the hood to supply the rear washer runs under the carpets along the passenger side of the vehicle.
This line has the potential to split / part allowing the entire fluid reservoir to empty into the cabin.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, I'm just sharing my experience because I've been through the same thing and I still don't know where the water is coming in, in my case the windshield washer fluid leak has been ruled out. I found myself in the same situation with water at the feet of the right rear passenger and after removing all the carpet, the water reached the feet of the front passenger and also the third row of seats. I disassembled the 7 seats and raised all the carpet to be able to dry it completely and the entire interior floor was left bare, I tried for hours with a water hose in all the ways that occurred to me, rain mode, pressure against the vehicle, to the roof , etc and at no time did I detect the entry of water, I ended up taking the car to the official service and after several days of tests and according to them a lot of hours, which of course I had to pay (I have a bill of €600), they tell me that They don't find any water inlet... Now I try to always leave the car covered because I don't trust that more water won't get in. I hope you have more luck than me and if you find where the water enters, let us know so we can check again. I use a translator to write, so excuse the mistakes. All the best .

Old 04-18-2023, 03:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before taking it to the official service, they changed the front glass in a glass repair company due to a break, when I realized that it had water inside, I took it back to check and to check again to seal everything, they changed it again since when disassembling to be able to seal again it broke. I also changed the rubber seal on the right rear door because it didn't seem to fit quite right, like it was shorter than it should be.

Quick Reply: Water in right rear passenger foot area - HELP!