New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the reason for dropping the TD6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default What’s the reason for dropping the TD6?

Are they just trying to make a worse vehicle? There’s no way I purchase a premium fueled vehicle that gets maybe 18mpg when I average 24 with oversized tires driving in Houston traffic. The experience of this vehicle is incredible and my boss had the gas version which I just couldn’t get behind. I don’t see these new options surviving the punishment long term. I tow at max gross weight on the regular and wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it with a 4cyl. Did they lose rights to the engines? To me it’s by far the best option out there. Just found this out while at the dealer today.

Last edited by ToiletDuck; 01-26-2021 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angelboing (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I’m assuming they didn’t sell many and given the euro Discoveries have a new Diesel engine that presumably would need approving for here it’s not worth the expense?
There are specific scenarios when a diesel makes sense and in the rest it makes more sense to run gas.
my usage pattern doesn’t suit a Diesel engine so I didn’t buy one and have zero regrets.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
I’m assuming they didn’t sell many and given the euro Discoveries have a new Diesel engine that presumably would need approving for here it’s not worth the expense?
There are specific scenarios when a diesel makes sense and in the rest it makes more sense to run gas.
my usage pattern doesn’t suit a Diesel engine so I didn’t buy one and have zero regrets.
Its cheaper than gas, gets 30% better fuel economy, and hauls better. I don’t know which instances wouldn’t warrant that. Stop and go driving being an issue is a myth. The thing comes standard with auto start/stop enabled. I guess maybe it could be a regen but I live in Houston and have owned multiple diesels and even in this traffic there’s never been an issue. The diesel just keeps pulling. I can put it in low gear and pull 8k boat up the ramp without touching the gas it’s awesome. No way those engines are as durable.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, I lived most of my life in Europe where the vast majority of cars are diesel, and have seen too many friends and family have problems with modern diesels when they use them for short trips. I had a diesel Jaguar XF that didn’t cause me a problem but I didn’t make super short trips although I did find the fuel economy wasn’t great from cold on short ones and the thing took ages to warm up. (Went like a rocket though and got 55mpg (US) on long runs.
But as fuel is 2.5 times the price it is here in the USA and the annual registration is based on co2 emissions there’s a fair argument for having one there.
Spending an extra $2k here with fuel being so cheap is a harder sell as it would take many miles just to break even on that. If I did lots of miles it might be worth it, or if I towed, but I don’t do either. Given that financially it makes no sense for me, and on this very forum most engine related issues seem to be the diesel models, given my pattern of usage I know I made the right choice for me. Sounds like the diesel is the right choice for your usage though.
I have a feeling that fewer than 10% sold in the USA are diesel, and given the Disco doesn’t sell in huge numbers to begin with, 10% of not much just doesn’t add up for JLR from a business sense. It may be not selling for the wrong reasons, maybe ppl are wary of diesel after VW, I don’t know, but I doubt it’s because consumers know the minutiae of which use cases it makes most sense for, so... I don’t really have any answers. But JLR must have run the numbers...

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 01-26-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Groucho123 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 10:08 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a new Discovery in October, and went back and forth between the diesel and gasoline options before deciding on gasoline. Seeing the TD6 dropped for 2021 was a surprise, however like others have said I believe they just didn't sell enough (every sales person, across multiple dealerships, told me the gas Discovery models far outsell the diesels) and getting approval in the US would be costly for a new engine.

I was coming from a diesel Touareg, one of the no-sell vehicles during dieselgate (purchased after the ban was lifted). As much as I loved the vehicle, especially the engine, it spent far too much time at the dealership for Ad-Blue related issues (every few weeks I'd get the dreaded "engine will not start in 100/200/1000 miles" warning - not fun on out-of-state road trips). The same issues seemed to be becoming more widespread across owners groups, as well as other vehicle brands. And even though several of the LR dealership service teams I spoke to were fully confident in the TD6, I did find owners who were starting to experience similar Ad-Blue issues.

Yes, the TD6 does get better fuel economy, but it would depend on each individual's usage scenario to see if the fuel economy would offset the additional expense of the TD6. Towing wise, yes - if I was towing for a living, I would have gone diesel (but, I probably wouldn't have gone with a Discovery then). In fact, being in the boating industry, our fleet of a dozen-plus is almost entirely gasoline (towing 25-30 ft boats all day between locations, ramps, customer homes, etc). Outside of work, I rent enough heavy equipment for our property, and had no regrets going with with gasoline setup.

Even though refilling more often isn't pleasant, not too long ago I was paying nearly $10-a-gallon for premium back in Northern Europe, and my only vehicles were impractical high-performance ones (much less avg mpg than the Discovery).

What's ironic for me is that I probably would have bought a TD6 if I was building an off-road project (and not an everyday driver).

Last edited by null1; 01-27-2021 at 10:13 AM.
angelboing (01-27-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

They dropped the Ford diesels because they have developed their own Ingeniums. There are 2 sizes, D250 & D300 (mild hybrid) currently available in Europe with the Disco. Why they don't seem to be certifying them for here I don't know, can't find either of these on the California or federal databases. the TD6 is still the only one and available on the Sport and FullFat. My guess is these are delayed (COVID-19?) and may be available in the fall (there also is a larger D350 too).

But, it's also possible since diesel sales are way down in Europe, that they've simply translated that to projected lower sales here as well and are just punting. :/

D250 AWD AUTOMATIC MHEV
Ingenium 3.0 litre 6-cylinder 249HP Turbocharged Diesel (Automatic) All Wheel Drive MHEV
  • WLTP CO₂ Emissions (from): 220g/km††
  • WLTP Fuel Consumption (up to): 33.7mpg††
  • Maximum speed: 120mph (194km/h)
  • Acceleration: 0-60mph in 7.6 seconds (0-100km/h in 8.1 seconds)

D300 AWD AUTOMATIC MHEV
Ingenium 3.0 litre 6-cylinder 300HP Turbocharged Diesel (Automatic) All Wheel Drive MHEV
  • WLTP CO₂ Emissions (from): 222g/km††
  • WLTP Fuel Consumption (up to): 33.4mpg††
  • Maximum speed: 130mph (209km/h)
  • Acceleration: 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds (0-100km/h in 6.8 seconds) / Commercial: 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds (0-100km/h in 6.9 seconds)

Last edited by eelpout; 01-29-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, according to a recent report that was repeated through Jalopnik, diesel sales for JLR have dropped to just a quarter of all sales.

Electrification is taking hold and growing with BEV or PHEV sales now at 12% and rising.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Hoping to just keep ours if it continues to behave and they get P2002 fixed by the end of lease but . . . no diesel? No LandRover. Out here where we live plus all the long trips etc. it just makes sense to us. Not sure where we will go . . . wife does not mind a truck so perhaps a nice club cab diesel there might work for her. Or buy her a damn Subaru and me the Club Cab diesel?

But, since I hope [pray?] the DOA battery terminal fix . . . remains fixed, if we get P2002 fixed and no other surprises, we do still love this vehicle. Would not mind at all keeping it . . .

Old 01-30-2021, 12:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't let this post Bogart the thread . . . just interesting! Now, fine print. You want 1000HP? 50 miles range. You want 500HP? 100 miles. You want 250HP? 200 miles. So, not all as it seems but still kinda impressive.

Regardless of where they go with EV, they do have to figure out how to get 450-500 miles without a "plug break" plus just adding all the plugin infrastructure everywhere especially here in the midwest . . . Otherwise, I would not be opposed, frankly.

Hummer Electric Truck to Come With 1000 HP - GMC Hummer EV Truck (roadandtrack.com)

Old 01-30-2021, 07:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Came from a Touareg diesel as well, and a gas Touareg before that. Loved the diesel, the gas one not so much. But after owning it 5 years, dieselgate gave me back almost what I paid for it new! We tow a lot and do 1,000 mile trips and go off-road. The only non-pickup, non-huge SUV with diesel was the Disco, so it got us into Land Rover for the first time. Am now a fan. Have had many of the issues mentioned in this forum, but the entire family loves the car. Best long distance car we’ve ever owned. 600 miles per day is easy in this, often when towing. Off road at our summer place in Wyoming it goes easily to places we never dared try in the Touareg. The Touareg had fewer problems (no 2002 DPF issues, even with biodiesel, no leaky windshield, no broken suspension air pump, no center console wire loam replacement, etc), but the Disco is just way more capable, comfortable, and luxurious.

The Touareg gas gave us 6-8 mpg when towing. The diesel Touareg gave us 12-15. This gives us 18 when towing, And it can keep a 65 mph pace on long uphills over the mountain passes. I’m betting the gas version will max out at 45 unless you beat on it, like the Touareg gas.

I’m lucky the dealer I bought it from is one of the 3 remaining sole Land Rover dealers in the US. The service department has way better access to factory info. I discovered that when moving to Nashville. The service manager there didn’t know about or have access to the weekly Thursday factory call for senior service techs. I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment for a DPF issue and after another 3 weeks sitting there they said it was because “your fuel smells funny”. I now drive 500 miles to my original dealer for service and they are great. The know-nothing dealer told me “we don’t sell diesels here so we don’t know much about them”. Probably why LR is not continuing.

If Land Rover doesn’t bring back diesel, I’ll likely still get a gas model. Not a hybrid tho - useless for long distance towing. The battery would be drained in the first 50 miles and then you only have the typically smaller gas engine than the non hybrid.

Quick Reply: What’s the reason for dropping the TD6?