Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the reason for dropping the TD6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerTouaregFan
I’m lucky the dealer I bought it from is one of the 3 remaining sole Land Rover dealers in the US. The service department has way better access to factory info.
I miss the days of my dealer being LR only. It never has been the same since they merged with their Jag counterpart.

The following users liked this post:
dinkeldorf (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:05 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This is terribly disappointing but not unexpected. JLR doesn’t have the production volumes nor resources to do gas, diesel, PHEV, and eventually BEV in all markets.

i hope when my TD lease is up in 2 ish years they'll still have TDs especially the new gen. I was thinking by then they’d be down to diesel & PHEV. And I sure as heck wouldn’t drive a JLR PHEV.

Let’s see!

Last edited by dinkeldorf; 02-01-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dinkeldorf
I was thinking by then they’d be down to diesel & PHEV. And I sure as heck wouldn’t drive a JLR PHEV.
30 mile range PHEV's seem really niche to me. I get why they have them in Europe, with "Ultra Low Emission Zones" and all that. But I agree with you, the ones JLR sells with the lumpy, elevated cargo areas (I think M. Benz is similar) is a non-starter.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:47 AM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than the Disco5 being one of the best all around capable vehicles I’ve owned; the only reason I even considered it was because of the diesel option. I’ve gone from a BMW 3-Series diesel in 2011, to pre & post VW/Audi diesel gate Q7’s and an A8. I never had any diesel related problems with any of them. But, if JLR is abandoning the TD engine in the US, I’ve purchased my last LR. I’ll drive my 2018 TD6 until the “wheels fall off”, then I’m going all electric. As a matter of fact, I’ve already grabbed a place in line for the 2022/2023 model year Hummer EV.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

In 15 years, car lots will be full of hybrid and all electric autos. The tooling has already begun. Get used to it because there is no stopping the future.

The following users liked this post:
BookerD5TD6 (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eelpout
30 mile range PHEV's seem really niche to me. I get why they have them in Europe, with "Ultra Low Emission Zones" and all that. But I agree with you, the ones JLR sells with the lumpy, elevated cargo areas (I think M. Benz is similar) is a non-starter.
You're so right - 30 miles / 50KM is the start of the sweet spot. Our city beater is 40KM PHEV; I drive the snot out of it and we do pretty well mileage wise, but 50KM / 30 miles would be much better. And I'm saying that with a client facility that has free EV charging and numerous metro area free spots.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Mudding

my '17 TD6 runs great (shouldn't have said that in public, now I've jinxed it ), but it's feeling like time to get something new. I'd consider a FullFat w/TD6 as I haven't had one for a while, but the lack of the Pivi Pro upgrade this year and a redesign on the horizon is a big negative.

That there is *no* D5 diesel on offer for this year I still think is a USA/California timing certification glitch and at least one of the Ingeniums is in the pipeline. But, the thing is, if you look at other European import SUV's, diesels just aren't a thing: MB, BMW, Audi etc. don't offer any either even if, like JLR, they offer multiple options overseas. I don't know if it's Volkswagen fallout, Elon tweets or what, but import consumer diesel here appears to be dying quickly.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BookerD5TD6
Other than the Disco5 being one of the best all around capable vehicles I’ve owned; the only reason I even considered it was because of the diesel option. I’ve gone from a BMW 3-Series diesel in 2011, to pre & post VW/Audi diesel gate Q7’s and an A8. I never had any diesel related problems with any of them. But, if JLR is abandoning the TD engine in the US, I’ve purchased my last LR. I’ll drive my 2018 TD6 until the “wheels fall off”, then I’m going all electric. As a matter of fact, I’ve already grabbed a place in line for the 2022/2023 model year Hummer EV.
I’ve had diesels as well with the Jeep eco diesel and this guy. It’s not the same as past diesels that we’re putting around Europe people has issues with. I treat mine like a truck. I use it. My issues have not been diesel related. I buy the cheapest def fluid at autozone, use Rotella T6 oil in it, clean the air filters regularly and drive the hell out of from time to time.

Diesels are just meant to be driven as all. If you put around in it from the beginning you’ll have way more issues than if you drive it like you stole it from time to time. Same engine in the F150 for the most part and no complaining their either. I get 12mpg towing 8k lbs of boat. Couldn’t be happier but I won’t get another unless there’s another diesel option. Will have to see about the above engines but I don’t know if Tata puts the same level of toughness in their design thoughts as Ford does. The only thing I don’t like is having software restricting me. Buried mine not too long ago in beach/swamp because it felt the transmission was getting hot so it cut my power. Made it a long day. If anything it should give a warning but leave the issues up to you. This isn’t an Airbus.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I finally had enough of the P2002 DPF problem so just traded in our 2017 TD for a 2018 CPO gas. Factory warranty included to 100k miles. Will be a lot more expensive in terms of fuel when towing, but we are just too scared of it leaving us stranded in Wyoming with no cell service, where we spend a lot of time. Love the car, just not the engine reliability. Would absolutely keep it if we were in always urban areas with reliable cell service.