Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Offset vs Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Offset vs Spacers

I'm really new to the Land Rover brand, like one month new.

My Fuji White, Dynamic Pack came with the 20" silver wheels and I want to change them over to black to match the grill and trim. I'm thinking of purchasing aftermarket wheels or possibly painting the factory wheels.
If I go the aftermarket route what would be the max offset that you would recommend to bring the tires out like wheel spacers would do? I am also going to replace the Pirelli Scorpions with Toyo A/T 3 and would like to go with 275/55r20's. Is is possible for the local dealer to flash the ECM to the new tire size in order to have the correct speedometer reading?

Thank you for any help and experience that you can provide me with.

The following users liked this post:
New2LRinCA (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Speedo should be off by only 3 percent but as the tires wear this percentage drops. And different brands of tires vary a little bit in diameter and circumference even for a specific size.
Not worth any adjustment to the software even if it were possible.
Just know that at 60 mph indicated on you dash you might be going almost 62.

Masbury (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:59 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Following because I’m doing the same with wheels (including the size and tire model) but planning to stick with 255’s. Rather than mess with adjusting for offset I’ve been looking for RR take-offs. It’s a bit of a pain to come up with wheels in black. I might just powdercoat the ones I have.

If you’re in snow country, check your spare tire. I have the donut so will be getting a full size wheel to put the A/T tire on because in CA we have restrictions going over the sierra passes in winter. FWD + 4 M/S (minimum) tires = no chains required. Throw a donut on if I have a flat and I’ll need 2 diff size chains. Plus it’s just not safe to do that in snow.

Masbury (10-31-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default spare

Originally Posted by New2LRinCA
Following because I’m doing the same with wheels (including the size and tire model) but planning to stick with 255’s. Rather than mess with adjusting for offset I’ve been looking for RR take-offs. It’s a bit of a pain to come up with wheels in black. I might just powdercoat the ones I have.

If you’re in snow country, check your spare tire. I have the donut so will be getting a full size wheel to put the A/T tire on because in CA we have restrictions going over the sierra passes in winter. FWD + 4 M/S (minimum) tires = no chains required. Throw a donut on if I have a flat and I’ll need 2 diff size chains. Plus it’s just not safe to do that in snow.
Any lead on where to pick up an aftermarket full size spare? I’m in CA and was thinking the same thing.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a set of RR Sport wheels on eBay for my AT tires and an OEM matching Disco wheel for the full size spare. Got a matching Pirelli tire mounted on Disco wheel... I ended up liking the RR Sport wheels so much I re-mounted my street tires on them and put the Mickey Thompson's on the OEM Disco wheels. I just swap the wheels when I plan on going off-road. The only issue I created for myself is I forgot about getting another wheel/tire as a spare when I have the Mickey Thompson's on. I will probably resolve by the end of winter.

Offset of the RR Sport wheels matched the OEM Disco wheels.

kj

Old 10-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bkjecu94
I bought a set of RR Sport wheels on eBay for my AT tires and an OEM matching Disco wheel for the full size spare. Got a matching Pirelli tire mounted on Disco wheel... I ended up liking the RR Sport wheels so much I re-mounted my street tires on them and put the Mickey Thompson's on the OEM Disco wheels. I just swap the wheels when I plan on going off-road. The only issue I created for myself is I forgot about getting another wheel/tire as a spare when I have the Mickey Thompson's on. I will probably resolve by the end of winter.

Offset of the RR Sport wheels matched the OEM Disco wheels.

kj
Pretty much this, and/or search for a single matching wheel on eBay. There aren’t a lot of Disco style wheels out there and once you weed out overpriced or suspect quality RR/RRS wheels there will be a few options for you. If you want silver rather than black there are a couple sets for sale now at great prices. Many of the black ones look like silvers which were powder coated to make them more valuable in the black wheel trend. I wonder about the quality of the PC jobs done in those cases but there’s no way to know.

The following 2 users liked this post by New2LRinCA:
bkjecu94 (10-31-2021), Masbury (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 03:21 PM
Drifting

I know it’s subjective but has anyone seen these RRS wheels on a D5, and is it a good look? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-2019-R...-127632-2357-0

Old 10-31-2021, 08:42 AM
Mudding
Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

RR Sport wheels on my Disco... with my street tires.

Masbury (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 09:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Those do look good and are still a factory wheel.

Work has been crazy long hours this past week so I haven't had much time to look into the new wheels. I saw some 18" TuffAnt steelies from Outventurousdisco on Insta that are offset 27 and that really brought the tires out to the edge of the fender wells without adding spacers. My TD6 does not have the Brembo front brakes and the 18" wheels should fit without rubbing calipers or control arms if I decide to to that route.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bkjecu94

RR Sport wheels on my Disco... with my street tires.
Nice!