New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

1995 D1 Shifter stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 03:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 D1 Shifter stuck in park

So my 1995 Disco 1 3.9 (automatic) project that I have been working on is coming along well. Recently replaced the head gaskets and water pump and it's running good and strong. On the other hand, my shifter is stuck in park... although I can manually go underneath and flip the gears since I unhooked the shifter cable. The shifter worked immediately after the head gasket job (assuming cause the battery was unhooked for a while) but it only shifted once till it locked up again. Break lights do NOT go on when I press the breaks and I believe the shifter interlock just isn't unlocking. I do hear a clicking sound coming from under the steering wheel area when I press the button on the shifter but it won't allow me to move it. I've read that it is most likely the brake light switch. Is there any way to check to make sure the brake light is for sure the failure and does anyone know of any little rover tricks to potentially bypass this? I've also read about taking out the shifter interlock all together. I just want an easy and inexpensive fix that will last and would like to hear what options I have...Any and all information about this kind of problem would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-20-2021, 02:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,216 Likes on 868 Posts

Why bypass...you need brake lights. Just change the brake light switch, it's a few bucks at any parts store. Think l paid 14$ at autozone. Read the directions carefully, install is a bjt tricky...you have to install switch, then depress pedal and turn switch one more time to get it to click into holder. There are a couple videos out there, search google.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that i think about it, you're absolutely right about needing brake lights lol I appreciate it and I will be ordering the part today. Thanks for your input!