New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

96 Land rover Disco (Your thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Land rover Disco (Your thoughts)

Ok so i am looking at picking up a series I
I am looking at a couple 96-98 disco's as a winter car. Mainly something to go from one resort to the other (up and down mountain roads) and pull my snowmobiles occasionly. There may be the occasional drive to colorado or cali (from Utah) I was wondering if anyone here that had expereince with these cars could give some pointers and what to look for. what should i look for in a used one and what did/do you think about yours or others you have driven.

Thanks guys

J

Let it Snow

Old 09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 96 Land rover Disco (Your thoughts)

As a beginning, read my tech info sections at http://www.eurotekapg.com/techinfo.html

And as I tell everyone considering purchasing a used Land Rover--- don't buy one without service records!

A Disco I can be a fairly reliable vehicle if it was properly maintained over its life. But, there are many out there that overwhelmed the owner in needed repairs and they decided to just dump it rather than put the money out.

Regards,

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Rock Crawling

hi Dubrider22

I have a 96 Discovery Se. I absolutely love this vehicle. It has been a very good truck for me. As with any vehicle make sure that the truck was well kept like Geoman said plus make sure all mechanicals work (Diff Lock) low range. If treated very well a Discovery is a great vehicle to have and will give many years a excellent service and provide Safety amd stregnth for u. Common probs for Discoveries is basically electrics (LUCAS) and if the truck was poorly kept had gaskets and other engine work. Some of the Discoveries best points are
1. They are bulit like tanks and can take alot of abuse. Don't be fooled by the shiny exterior
2. They have one of the strongest chassis ever made far stronger than J##p's yota's
3. The CDL aka Diff lock is a very good tool to have if use in skilled hands it can make the Discovery do amazing things off road where as a another 4x4 might need lockers
4. they are very attractive 4x4's
5. they have an Aluminum alloy body(don't worry land rovers don't wreck easy I know this for A FACT) also very little rust and a Strong steel inner body.Steel roof
5. there are many vendors to chose from if u decide to fully build your Discovery.
6. They are a pleasure to drive and own.

I will never give my Discovery for anything else when she dies I'm buying another Discovery.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Drifting

I agree with these guys. I have 96 disco and was lucky enough to have found a one owner truck with the actual scheduled service book mark and done at are LR dealerships. However, why would you want such a great truck too only use a couple of months out of the year. You should instead buy a well documented disco and drive it year round.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Disco I is the best of both worlds ,
no ABS/ traction control that plague the DII's .
Its old school so most things have been tested all over the world.

The lucas problems can for the most part be fixed with dielectric grease.