New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

97 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:03 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Discovery

Just acquired a 1997 Discovery. It's been parked for the better part of 2 years. Headed over today to check her out. Pics to follow.

-97D1

Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. I have a 97 also. You'll want to be very careful about overheating, the temp gauge is not to be trusted above 50%. They have lots of places to grease on the bottom side. Get rid if the stale gasoline. In our tech area is a high miles new to you service catchup list. And lots of other good articles to read over. The complete factory shop and owner manual set is called the RAVE, and is a free download below.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Discovery-p1120320.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default Pic -Update

Went over today to see if this would be worth my time. Took out the plugs and cleaned em. Put a new battery in and jumped it. Turned over and got air out of all the cylinders. Replaced the plugs and started her up. Sounded like a beast/tank. I am sure the fact that from after the cat back is gone from the exhaust system. The aftermarket stereo even had Sublime playing when I turned her on.

Cosmetically there are some bad rust spots. The interior is moldy and in shambles. Driver side headrest has a huge hole in it where a previous owner must have had intentions to install a monitor. There is no fluid in the brake system, power steering system, or radiator.

Tomorrow I will have it on a flatbed to the house where I will start breaking her down and cleaning her up. I will post more pictures tomorrow. I thank you all in advance for the insight and help I will need in the future.

-97D1

Attached Thumbnails 97 Discovery-97d1.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You need to plant some more saplings, you'll need more shade trees....

Radiator allowed to dry out and that age truck - see if you can find an indy rad shop and carry in for hot acid flush and rod out of calcium - should be about $75.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM
3rd Gear

I downloaded the RAVE manual and went to sleep. I am trying to get it going this morning. Seem to be having some issues, not sure what to do once I open the RAVE folder.