New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

97 Land Rover??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Land Rover??

Hey everyone, I'm considering buy my first of maybe two Range Rovers. One being a HSE 4.6 Land Rover, and the other being a Discovery. I was wondering if there might be any particular yrs,or models to stay away from.

To be honest,the wife and love the looks of these vehicles,but I have heard nothing but horror stories about these vehicles,can someone either put my mind to rest on the stories that these trucks are problematic??

For the most part I am a self taught mechanic, as long as these SUV's don't have internal engine/transmission problems I can fix it. So far anyways. Thanks for reading my post.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You can look in our tech section and see a list of what to look for, you can download the shop manual set on both in link below, but the best idea is to have a pro mechanic do a pre-sale inspection. If you start pulling out a scanner to check codes, a chemical test for exhaust gas in coolant (head gaskets), or a manual oil psi gauge; the seller might object to you doing that in the driveway...

Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever you may want to buy, check it out very closely before you plop down the cash.

The Discovery I is fairly simple DIY, DII is less so with more computerized items, the RR HSE 4.6 is pretty much NOT a DIY. So if you are looking at one of those, thing big dollars at a dealership or specialty LR SPA.

Hope you got lots of DISPOSABLE INCOME, and do not mind disposing of it! Especially with an newer RR or LR, the newer , the more complicated and a simple problem can leave you stranded.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM
4th Gear

Hey everyone thank you for your replies, I think we may just shop around for a different vehicle. We're thinking once we load the family in it may be a little tight,on top of I really don't have the time to be figuring,and fixing a vehicle as often as I may have to with either one. Thanks again

Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Mudding

So.....where are the ones you where looking at?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 AM
4th Gear

I've been looking all over the northeast,and in Georgia (we have realestate there). I think I'm just going to get her another mercedes,and I am looking at the Landcruiser. My mercedes mechanic has a nice little mercedes (car) with a clean bill of health. Fresh timming chain,and just tuned up in emmacualet condition for short money. Happy Motoring everyone