New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Another new guy here, with a question also

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019 | 08:24 AM
|
4th Gear
Default Another new guy here, with a question also

Good day to all you fine folks. I'm so new here that I don't even have a Land Rover yet. Working on changing that soon and learning from you guys the ins and outs of these fine rigs. My goal is to get a Disco and turn it into and overlanding rig. I'm born and raised in the southern US, and love adventuring and want something the whole family can ride along with me.

Having said that I have a question. It looks like I have the opportunity to choose between two Disco's. A 1998 and a 2003 model. I do know that the 2003 has the 4.6 and I've heard good and bad about these motors. Of course both sellers claim they run good, although the 98 is currently in the shop having a fuel pump replaced. I can't really test drive them as they are about 3 hours from me in the opposite direction.

I'm leaning more towards the 2003, it just looks like it has been kept a little better. What do you guys think? If it helps, I am fairly well mechanically apt. And if I don't know how to fix it I'm pretty good at finding it on YouTube.

Ok, one more question. It looks like the 03 does not come with the CDL and that the lever parts cannot be retrofitted. Is it possible to eventually change out the transfer case for a later model that has the CDL?

Thanks in advance for any guidance y'all can offer.

Last edited by SouthernJourneyman; 10-09-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added a question.