New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Bought '98 Discovery (Needs Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought '98 Discovery (Needs Engine)

Hello Land Rover Forums,

I just purchased a '98 Discovery to start a new project. The seller told me it had a bad engine, I paid $1,000 for it assuming I would need to replace the engine (hopefully that was good deal, I don't know what one it this condition goes for). I'm pretty excited about this project and plan on doing quite a bit to it, of course getting it to move under it's own power first, then suspension, tires and wheels, roof rack, repair headliner and some interior bezels and such. I don't have experience wrenching on Rovers, but quite a bit on my previously owned Jeeps. I'll be looking to purchase an engine replacement this week (know any good sources?) Curiosity got the best of me this morning, I went out and started tearing down the engine to see what exactly failed. When i drained the oil pan about 15qts of coolant and little of oil came out , I pulled the intake and found the valley scattered with lifters and push rods. The camshaft was sheared in two places and the heads looked like someone used roofing tar for motor oil. I don't know if these are common failures or what caused it but I'll post that question in technical so i don't get in trouble here Anyways, heres some pic's let me what you think and if you think got an ok deal on the truck. Thanks in advance! Oh also it has 137K on it.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The body and interior look great.