General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally bought a 97 RR, but needs an engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally bought a 97 RR, but needs an engine

I got a great deal on a 97 4.6 HSE but it has a bad engine. I was hoping it may have just been something small but it definately is toast. I dropped the oil pan tonight and found a piston smashed to bits in the bottom of the pan andwhat was left twisted up above the crank. That is OK though since I bought it thinking I would have to put another engine in.

Since I will be doing the swap are there anything out of the ordinary that I need to look out for? I have done 3 engine swaps on other vehicles but this will be my first Rover.

A coupleof the reasons that I bought it is that the interior is perfect, almost new and it actually has all the records since it was new and has been kept up very well. Which is why I am trying to figure out why the engine went. In the last two years they spent about 4K on repairs including replacing the EAS system and climate control system. Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way I have a lead on an engine but if you know of one locally where you are for a god deal please post it up. I do not want to spend 3k on an engine that has the same mileage as th eone that went out, it had 137K on it.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: finally bought a 97 RR, but needs an engine

Engine 4.6L V8

Old 02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the link, I am hoping to spend a little less than that but if it ends up my only option then that is what I will have to do.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
4wd Low

I was in the same situation cept mine was a 1998 4.6 and two pistons completely gone, not pretty when we took the heads off. I found a whole 1997 Discovery for 1500 that had a new crate motor in with only 40 thousand miles. It was only a 4.0 but its the same thing just stroked and i had to swap over the timing cover, crank pulley, and the flywheel and went in perfect and drives nice even though it has less horsepower you don't notice it. But it ended up costing me 1000 after parting the discovery out and scraping it. I just have a slight high idle which that still has to be fixed but were going pull the codes to see what could be wrong.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you have ot swap the ECU too? I never thought that you could put in 4.0 and have it work. I can find a bunch of them for reasonable prices but the 4.6 where I am at is not being very easy. Thaks for the idea.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 AM
4wd Low

perfect time for an engine swap!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
4wd Low

I didn't switch out the computers b/c i didn't have one and wasn't in the mood to spend money on one. But it runs great except for a slight high idle. When it is in drive and reverse it idles at 1000 and when its warmed up and in park it ranges from 1200 to 1500. And also i have the check engine light on and service engine light on which im getting it checked this week and hopefully we can fix that high idle maybe by resetting the TPS. But I got it registered and tagged yesterday and going to get those codes checked out this weekend. other than those issues it runs great and with the 4.0 with the 4.6 transmission it seems strong even when its less power but i wouldn't be able to tell since i have never driven it with the original 4.6.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I found a 4.0 for $700 so I am going to give that a try. I will have the computer too if I need it to make it all work, I am hoping all will go well the same as you.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Engine swap will be great. Get a better running engine just get a cheap one. With engine broken thats the only thing in my mind.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
I got a great deal on a 97 4.6 HSE but it has a bad engine. I was hoping it may have just been something small but it definately is toast. I dropped the oil pan tonight and found a piston smashed to bits in the bottom of the pan andwhat was left twisted up above the crank. That is OK though since I bought it thinking I would have to put another engine in.

Since I will be doing the swap are there anything out of the ordinary that I need to look out for? I have done 3 engine swaps on other vehicles but this will be my first Rover.

A coupleof the reasons that I bought it is that the interior is perfect, almost new and it actually has all the records since it was new and has been kept up very well. Which is why I am trying to figure out why the engine went. In the last two years they spent about 4K on repairs including replacing the EAS system and climate control system. Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way I have a lead on an engine but if you know of one locally where you are for a god deal please post it up. I do not want to spend 3k on an engine that has the same mileage as th eone that went out, it had 137K on it.

Thanks!

The usual cause of that type of engine damage is overheating. RR's are notorious for having slipped liners and head gasket problems due to overheating issues.
Before you get too deep into it, make sure that your radiator is in good shape, also check the overflow return tube and be sure it is clear. Finally, if your temperature guage goes over the 12.00 position under normal driving watch out, it is getting too hot.
Hope that helps.

Chris.