New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Buying a new RR or RR Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new RR or RR Sport

Hi all,

My fiance and I are looking at options of buying either brand new or nearly new (2004 or 2005 onwards) Range Rovers - either the Vogue or Sport HSE.

We've heard so much about the standard probs with the Range Rover III that it's putting us off. The dealer told us to buy new as the problems have all been resolved but I wanted to know if any of you could advise us of what to look for and what to avoid please.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Nick

Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Buying a new RR or RR Sport

I have noticed a significant drop in quality with the Ford built Rovers, so you may want to take a closer look at that. The RR Sport is excellent but again, you may see fittings from an explorer or expedition model Ford.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks very much for the reply.

Are you saying it's better to avoid the RR Sport?

Also, we might get a 2004 Vogue or HSE but I've heard about electrical problems etc etc ......is this just rumour or are the early RR III models to be avoided??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rgds,

Nick

Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Overlanding

Hey there....
never had an issue with my 4.4 v8 ('04) RR, except a lose connection caused by the dealer during a servicing. Mind you, i drove from IL, USA to Toronto, Canada without really having that big of an issue....lol. SO i think that the 4.4's are fine.
In terms of quality going down since Ford...the fitment and quality has been far better since the buy out by ford. The engines are great, and i haven't really seen any explorer parts in my current one, however its not a Range Rover sport but a Range Rover.
Im not totally sold on its interior, but its a great SUV overall i think.
I would go and look at an 'o4 range rover and compare it to an '01. I highly doubt that you will come away thinking the '01 is better, but thats my opinion (and i owned both...).
Good luck

Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks SuperCharged06.

It's very strange but where I live (Moscow), if you mention Range Rover, everyone has a story about their RR or their friend's RR always breaking down.

I think Moscow has more RRs than any other city in the World now so maybe it's a numbers game.... more cars = more problems.

What I do know is that if I tried to book the car in for a service at the 'best' main dealer here, I'd have to wait until October!

PS - I'm currently driving a 99 RR HSE 4.2 V6 with only 40k miles on the clock (it was garaged for 3 years) - a 2007 RR Sport is going to be a hell of a change!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Overlanding

I admit the older ones would break down, i dont hear much about the new ones having many issues.
An '07 Sport will be a hell of a change, but im sure you will love it!
Best of Luck....maybe book it in for service now...lol