New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Colorado Springs Disco 2 - Hilma

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Colorado Springs Disco 2 - Hilma

At the 16 mile marker going up Pikes Peak, the love of my life and my wife as well.

Hey there everyone,

The name is Brendon, RPCV Namibia 13-16 and fell in love with the Defender in Africa. But I was on a sub 5k budget.
Therefore I bought a 2002 Disco 4.0 back in March, 2019 (her name is Hilma), found out it had a coolant leak after I bought it (I did bring it to a mechanic to have a pre-purchase inspection done and they missed this, eventually they did call to ask how the car was and if I bought it and I said I did and I was a little bit peeved they missed such a glaringly obvious coolant leak that the rover mechanic spotted within minutes and they felt bad and all that boo hoo).

So I have been nursing it since then (I don't daily drive to work because I work remotely but I've racked up 5,000 miles in 6 months). This is my first car, I am 30 years old and what a beauty she is. So naturally the mechanic at Pikes Peak Range Rover (best mechanic I've ever met) says its a head gasket and will need replacing but I can drive her and keep an eye on fluids etc but eventually it'll need replacing. Tis okay i think, I was gonna splash a grand or so in crap so why not fix the engine. Well finances etc have kept things from going all out.

I'm here because I do try and work on it myself but having never owned a car I sometimes have no idea how to hold a spanner and which direction to turn. Luckily I am moving out to the country to live rent free with a dear old man soon and will have the space and money to work more on it. So be gentle with Hilma's owner as I poke around asking questions and hopefully learning how to make her live another decade healthy!

For the curious among you:
Both boil packs were replaced and the wiring by the mechanic along with the front two 02 sensors.
Cleaned the MAF, replaced the air filter and did the oil change meself (again first time doing any of this).
Working on fixing the drain for the driver side sunscreen (i removed the front stuff to find the leak and saw the pipe wasn't connected and now I'm realising I might just take the whole headliner off and repaint it something dramatic).
Got the transmission filter kit from AB and plan on doing this once I buy that fluid!
Yes the front bumper is damaged, definitely dreaming of an ARB bumper someday because why not?
Yes the tires will be getting replaced before winter because they are just about ready to be not cool.
Yes the brakes are fine right now (6 mil back in April) but once the new year hits I plan on getting new rotors and pads to make her stop like new.
Yes I am seriously considering doing the head gaskets myself before the end of the year (October-November).
The rest of the fun mods will hopefully happen next summer!

So roast me fellow Land Rover owners! Or not and advise me politely.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-14-2019, 02:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Welcome Brenden. You came to the correct forum to sort out your Disco 2.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Brendan - loved the honesty of your note - a great endeavor that I am jealous of (I just don't have the time). Pads & rotors do yourself - very satisfying job & lots of youtube videos - however probably get the heads done at the shop. What I can add is that the shop you mentioned - Pikes Peak Rover - is the best LR shop in Co - hands down best value & expertise. The owner/mechanic (Eric Holder) is super honest, helpful & knows the machines inside out. Good luck - Jim

Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Thanks Flyscot, you're right, the head gasket is a job a few years beyond my experience! And yes, Eric and his family are some of the best people I've ever done business with on a regular basis so I'd be more than willing paying the proper price for the job when it's time (but preferably before the time comes).

I'm looking forward to next month moving to Black Forest and having the space to work on the car and do the pads and rotors myself. And some more of course!

Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Thank you Juke179r, it appears the Disco 2 is the most popular car on this forum and the wealth of knowledge here is incredible.