New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Finally have a LR of my own

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally have a LR of my own

Hi all,

I have been an avid LR enthusiast ever since we purchased a 1990 Disco 1 in Saudi Arabia (expat family). Have fond memories of camping and scuba diving with the Disco, and we ended up shipping it to the UK when my Dad was laid off. Unfortunately we couldn't ship it to the US when the time came, so my Dad purchased a 1989 Range Rover County which was a wonderful vehicle until it burned up in a freak vehicle fire (flames coming out of the vents etc). He then bought a 2001 Disco II which he has had ever since, until he gave it to me yesterday (a promise he made when he bought it). It has been very well maintained, but has 230k on it (original engine). Never offroaded, garage kept, LR Certified Mechanic etc. Pic below. We also had numerous friends that had classic LR's and early Disco's and frankly I have a bit of an infatuation with LR from all that (despite all the negative info I have read).

So, my plans are nothing extravagant - partly because I have built a 4x4 before and a lot of mods are just for the "cool factor" and partly because I don't do much extreme offroading anyhow, and want to use it as a family camping/greenlanding/overland vehicle. So CDL linkage, slightly larger more aggressive tires, possibly a winch bumper (mostly because the original is broken and and ARB or similar is cheaper, and tow hitch (for future camping trailer w/tent etc.) These are capable vehicles anyway, and honestly I am not convinced anymore of the value of 3" lifts etc. To each their own right?!

I hope to learn a lot from this forum, and meet some like minded people who love Land Rovers, and the history the vehicle represents and invokes.

Best regards,

James

Attached Thumbnails Finally have a LR of my own-discoii.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome!