New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

First Time Rover!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022 | 09:24 AM
|
3rd Gear
Default First Time Rover!

Hi Guys!
I am new to land rovers in general but I have worked on and rebuilt a few cars over the years now. Hopefully my skills are enough to keep an aging land rover on the road!
I have been wanting to get into a discovery 1 or 2 for the past 6 months, but everything I found was clapped out or waaaaaay overpriced!

I was worried at first about reliability but after seeing tons of disco's pushing over 150k miles, it seems the community has sorted them out.
So, finally after a long search I found my silver 2003 se7 discovery 2!
It has no modifications other than a steel bumper, lowish mileage (72k), and new tires!

I was very pleased to drive it home and have no lights on the dash, a almost perfect interior, and clean coolant.

So comes the problems......
The brakes are murderously weak. The brake pedal is very soft and slowly presses to the floor even when pumped. I am now sourcing new master cylinder, brake lines, pads, and rotors.
I got it home safely, but it rained that night.

The next morning, I Woke up to Water leaks in every possible spot! Sunroof clogged drains, leaky windshield, possible A-pillar Leak, possible Alpine window leak, And Lastly possible roof rack!

Luckily after some interneting I believe all this is easy to solve and of course the headliner needs to be remade. I believe this truck was mostly stored in a garage or a shop, because with leaks like these the truck would have been ruined within a week with Houston rain.

My plans moving forward now are to fully restore the discovery to its former glory with maybe a few tasteful mods. My goal is to have a showroom new looking discovery with camel trophy style capabilities.

My current punch list follows:

· Fix brake system

· Fix water leaks, order new windshield cowl

· Fix the broken ash tray

· Fix broken gauge cowl

· Double check engine health and refresh fluids and spark plugs

Wish list:

· Repaint or wrap, truck to Epson green

· 2in Lift with good shocks, with modest all terrain tires

· Cleaner looking front bumper with radiator guard

· Center diff lock

· Repaint OEM wheels

If I have over looked any thing major please let me know. I plan to document as much of this stuff as I can as well as do a lot of the DIY’s with 2022 photos.

If there is any groups in the Houston area hit me up! I would love to meet some of the guys down here.

Have a Good one guys!

P.S. I will add Photos When I get better light.

Old 05-24-2022 | 05:57 PM
TReK

Welcome to the forum Resto. It sounds like you found a great Disco.
For any of your technical questions, or newly found knowledge, you should post in the Disco 2 section of this forum.

Old 05-25-2022 | 12:00 PM
|
3rd Gear

Will do Thanks!

Old 05-27-2022 | 11:42 AM
6th Gear

Welcome along

Kodi nox

Last edited by elifdenizer; 05-28-2022 at 04:23 PM.