New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

hazard lights going off after parked and locked/ tailgate 3 clicks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hazard lights going off after parked and locked/ tailgate 3 clicks

hello i have solved a lot of problems using this forum but i haven't been able to find the answer to this problem.
i have a 2005 Range Rover HSE - my issue is when i park my vehicle and lock all the doors using my remote key the hazards will start flashing after a period of 5-10 minutes. i am able to use my remote key to unlock and re-lock the vehicle to shut the hazards off but the lights will start flashing again after 5-10 mins again. its as if the alarm is going off but not audible, just flashing hazards - silent alarm i guess you could call it.
i purchased this vehicle about month ago so i don't know any history of the vehicle. but the problem is reoccurring more and more each week.

i saw posts about hood latch sensor but on this model i don't believe it has one as i looked high and low for one.

i am also having trouble with my tailgate lock, as when i press the unlock on my remote key it does 3 clicks and doesn't unlock fully, i press the open button on the tailgate itself and same 3 clicks and im able to pull it open. along with the 3 clicks the small rear interior lights flash in rhythm with the 3 clicks.

not sure if these are associated, could very well be, i want to solve tailgate issue as well but haven't found a tutorial on replacing a possible bad latch.
has anyone had either of these issues or both? any advice would be very much appreciated.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I would bet the latch issues with the rear tailgate and the alarm issues are connected

Old 05-03-2018, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i pulled the trim off the tailgate to uncover the latch, unbolted the latch but left it plugged in and swung down the tailgate simulating the door being closed and tried to replicate the 3 clicks but latch functioned properly. i bolted everything back up where it was before, left the trim off, swung door closed and used my remote key to open - it didn't do the 3 clicks but it also didn't open the door like it should - door was still latched closed and not free to open up. i put pressure down on rear door to simulate door not being able to open and got the 3 clicks during test. so to me it sounds like the latch isn't functioning properly, my other range rover (same year) when using the remote key to open tail gate it wasn't necessary to also press the button below tail gate sill to open - by pressing the remote key button the tailgate would flip open freely. needless to say i put trim back on and have the 3 clicks again. i will be replacing latch in the next few days.

no resolution on the hazard lights - only can seem to keep them from going off by leaving car unlocked. its not every time i lock the car but when it happened 3 times yesterday it was after i had opened and closed my tailgate.

has anyone ever replaced their tailgate latching mechanism before and had their hazard lights flash from a faulty latch?
i will update after latch replacement.