New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Heck of a Father's Day weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Heck of a Father's Day weekend

Hello all from Washington state,

So I begged and groveled and my husband finally gave in and let me have a DiscoII. We looked at two before finding the one I liked. A beautiful dark blue, 2000, with 106k miles. My sweet husband took an hour and a half checking out the truck, he has always fixed all our vehicles so I figured why not a Land Rover, my poor little mechanic.

Well Patrick talked him down to $5000, because of a couple dry U joints, whatever that means and some leaks, possibly transmission fluid He asked him twice what was done in May when he had it serviced, just the basics, oil change etc... Everything else is fine. Well Patrick knew it wasn't fine but figured at $5000 he can afford to fix stuff. The tires still have the little nubs on them and cosmetically the truck is sweet.

So he calls the dealer that did the service and found out they had actually inspected it for the seller as well. So much for the sweet, honest, soldier of five on Fort Lewis Base.

We are looking at: A drive line rebuild, leaking head gasket, and timing cover problem, no I don't know what any of that means, aside from over $3000k of repairs. But I do know what my husbands face looks like when he is really angry So he gives him a call to try and help him understand the word integrity, long story short the nice fellow hangs up on him.

So, hello all, my name is Monica and I'm the humble owner of a beautiful piece of ****. Please save all the,you're a dumbass comments, until we get to know each other better. And if you all could lend an ear to my husband now and again when he is on here asking for help, while fixing his wife's lovely Land Rover.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry for the language, didn't think about it before I posted it, still kinda ticked off. Won't happen again!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good news is that, if your husband is handy with a wrench like you suggest, these things are simple and inexpensive to fix. The Driveline, which even if perfect but original would need to be done, is about $100 for parts. The Headgasket and Timing Cover are inexpensive parts to reseal, but labor intensive. Therefore expensive to pay a dealer to repair. Once you get things sorted out and do the maintenance you will love the truck.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeymom1
.....So, hello all, my name is Monica and I'm the humble owner of a beautiful piece of ****. Please save all the,you're a dumbass comments, until we get to know each other better.
Welcome fellow Washington-onians! That's one hell of an introduction, sounds like you guys have your hands full and that your husband will get to know your "new" Discovery very intimately over the next few weeks.

Where are you guys located? If you need a good indie Rover mechanic, Biggs Eastside Automotive in Bellevue is a great option.

Read (or have your husband read) through the "How To" and "Write Ups" and download the RAVE manual.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling

We live in Poulsbo, about 1.5 hrs. From Bellevue. He has already downloaded the RAVE manual, and has found stuff on here to help fix some "minor" stuff

My payback for being impulsive is the joy of driving my "new" Rover, in and out of the garage Darn it! Thanks for the welcome.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MultipleRoverGuy
Just goes to show that you should always bring a mechanic to check it out. While your husband might be a pretty savvy guy, a mechanic probably would have saw that stuff! Or at least call the dealer before buying it.
Thanks for that worthless input. If we ever need to buy a used car we won't call you.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Haha, well I knew the dumb@ss comment would eventually be addressed! Hmmm...do people really bring mechanics with them to look at cars? Too funny guys.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Overlanding

Welcome from Anacortes WA sorry to here about your rover having all those issues. I hope everything works out ok and your husband can get it all fixed up for you

Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Default My little Jack of all Trades!

So my dear sweet hubby fixed my drive shaft thing with the U joints! Two days later and a whole lot of F bombs. I even got to help once because I have small fingers!

Great news is after further inspection the head gaskets look good, just have to replace some leaky hoses.

At one point I thought Patrick was going to pour gasoline on my Rover and blow it up!

Oh and basically this Forum saved us a fortune, somewhere on here I heard that a chirping noise was not a good thing for my drive shaft. So when I heard it I knew it was bad and headed home very slowly, so things could be worse!

Happy 4th all.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Best of luck. There are a lot of people here that will flame you with "you shouldn't own a Disco" comments. Ignore them, and look for a forum with more sympathetic members...

Quick Reply: Heck of a Father's Day weekend