New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Hi,
I'm considering a 1999 Discovery and wanted to say hello as well as ask a few questions.

I've owned a bunch of Series II and IIa before so I'm not new to LR but this would be the first LR I'd own that has power steering and an interior. They seem to go for really cheap amounts and the seller wants $3,500 on this one with a new steering idler arm + new fuel pump. I'm wondering if that would be too much and should I just look for something in the $1,500-$2,500 range??

It's white, has rear jump seats + rear air conditioning, has 140k miles and the interior is in fairly decent shape.

I don't want a project or a money pit at all - but this would be a second vehicle for me (in addition to a BMW M3) so I need it to be reliable in bad weather, etc. but don't need to drive/depend on it **that** much.

So hello! and any thoughts or suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd say $3500 would be a good price if it's in good to great shape. Can you give us more information on what maintenance has been done? Have the head gaskets been replaced?

As a 2nd vehicle a Discovery with a little TLC will be a very reliable truck for you. But you should expect to put some money into to get it in great shape again. Price of repairs can be fairly reasonable with the use of this forums resources, do it your self tips and recommended part vendors.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I'd say $3500 would be a good price if it's in good to great shape. Can you give us more information on what maintenance has been done? Have the head gaskets been replaced?

As a 2nd vehicle a Discovery with a little TLC will be a very reliable truck for you. But you should expect to put some money into to get it in great shape again. Price of repairs can be fairly reasonable with the use of this forums resources, do it your self tips and recommended part vendors.
I have no idea about any maintenance or work done on it past or even recent present up to the fuel pump and idler arm on steering.

It is in "OK" shape - I'm picky though. Body is perfect, no rust, interior is great except you can tell that the truck has been used - which is good. Used vehicles usually get "some" maintenance. The interior isn't trashed but it isn't flawless. It's fine.

No clue, at all, about any maintenance that may/may not have been done to it.

Head gaskets and things like that don't scare me as long as they can be done either on the cheap at a mechanic or if I can do it over a weekend, etc.

On my last IIa I used to change out the overdrive in the driveway (had a couple of them, different ratios) almost on a monthly basis.

I just want to know if these things are reliable or if they are a disaster without proper maintenance. All I know as of now is that it starts, runs & drives.

EDIT: This is almost a site-unseen purchase. It's local but I don't know the garage (seller) at all. They hey have a good reputation but I'm new to the area. I think the price needs to be in the $2,500 range based on comparable sales; should I ask about things like leakdown and/or compression, head gaskets (are there any other major issues)??

Last edited by 90'sDisco; 11-10-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to determine if it's a DI or a DII, they made both in 99. A DII had more whistles and bells and can be more expensive to repair. A DI will be a bit more familiar to a Series owner. Easiest way to tell a DI from a DII is that a DI has flush door handles and low mount taillights (almost to the bumper) where a DII has door handles that stick proud of the body and the taillights are up about midway at rear window level (the DII is also a bit longer but that's harder to describe without a picture).

Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
You need to determine if it's a DI or a DII, they made both in 99. A DII had more whistles and bells and can be more expensive to repair. A DI will be a bit more familiar to a Series owner. Easiest way to tell a DI from a DII is that a DI has flush door handles and low mount taillights (almost to the bumper) where a DII has door handles that stick proud of the body and the taillights are up about midway at rear window level (the DII is also a bit longer but that's harder to describe without a picture).
Based on that alone - I'm 99.999% positive it's a DII.

Is that good or bad? I've owned a couple Series LR's, a few International Scout II's, A bunch of BMWs all between 1968-1994, some VW's and Audis in the late 80's to early 90's vintage, etc. I'm not scared of cars I just don't have time for a project.

I just want something that I can turn the key and it starts - and when (when, not if) it breaks I can either fix it or pay to get it fixed on the cheap.

EDIT: For reference, I helped a friend with a head gasket on an '88 Cherokee about a month ago. It took most of Saturday, we went out Saturday night (so slept in) and Sunday he was driving before sunset. If I know the car I'm not scared of most anything but I've never owned a LR newer than 1970 so I'm a bit in the dark; especially with this one.

Last edited by 90'sDisco; 11-10-2012 at 03:22 PM.