New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hello to you all

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello to you all

Hi to you all, as you guessed I'm a newbie.

I've always wanted my own Range Rover, and now I've finally done it. I am now the very proud owner of a 1995 P38A 4.6HSE.

Only thing is a problem with the engine, and I was wondering if any would had any kind of thoughts or suggestions to help me. (sorry if I've put this in the wrong section).

The RR has done 120,000miles, I have had 2 weeks and done about 500 trouble free miles. I had the car serviced and ever since the engine has been really rough. There is no LPG kit on the car.
The engine seems to have a misfire, ever since it was serviced (new plugs, leads, oil & filter and engine sump sealed). The engine runs far, far better when cold, once up to temperature it is unbearable. At around 1900rpm the engine seems to violently misfire. The rev gauge goes mad from zero to actual revs and the car has no acceleration at all. If I select sport mode on the transmission the revs go above 2500rpm and off it goes as normal.
Diagnostics have shown the lambda (02) sensors to be faultly so they were changed, it also showed the camshaft timing sensor as faulty so that was changed.
The dashboard mounted engine ecu warning light will not come on even if the diagnostics tell it to.

Bearing in mind that when I bought the car it was perfect, it drove very smoothly and had all the power I would expect from a 4.6 V8.

The more and more I research this on the internet, the more suggestions I find to the HT leads or plugs.
Has anyone else had similar symptoms with the engine running? If so how did you solve it?

BTW - the engine is not using water and it's not overheating.

Many thanks in advance

Old 07-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hello to you all

check to see if you have a faulty coolant temp sensor. the ecu in most cars will go to different load tables based on coolant temp. if the sensor is telling the ecu the water temp a wrong value the load value could be off.