New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Help for a Noob

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help for a Noob

I have had a a Ford F250 for about 12 yrs and for a truck it's great. Love the room and the way the front seat sits. I decided I needed to put it into semi-retirement and purchase something a bit smaller. After much debate I chose a Toyota Tacoma. After having had it for a few months now, I have decided it is too cramped both front seats and back seats. I have always liked Landy's, but never owned one. I'm now thinking a Disco series II might be the hot ticket. It appears they have a decent amount of interior space. (I would love a D-110, but need a few more creature comforts) I'm wanting to hear from actual owners on reliablity and daily driving. Let me what you folks think about a Disco II as a daily driver.
Thanks

Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2001 Disco II that I drive every day. I bought it with 100000 on the clock. It's up to 120000 now. And it's the most reliable thing I've owned. But that sort of depends on previous owners. These things are infamous for their little gremlins. The major ones are the three amigos (tc, abs, and hill descent lights), the front drive shaft that has homicidal tendencies, and having some overheating issues. These are preventable problems though, and all around they are awesome vehicles. There's a great amount of space, they look fantastic, and they are pleasant to drive both on road and off. That being said, they're not your typical gas 'n' go car. They like to be coddled and have a little more attention than most other vehicles. Your typical toyota or nissan SUV needs almost no attention and will go without problems forever. I've even seen them go without oil changes for over 20,000 miles. You CANNOT do that with a Disco. They need to be more taken care of. But with a little love and basic maintenance, they're fantastic. The plus side to that is they're pretty easy to work on, and if you know where to look, parts aren't expensive. But if you're not okay doing a lot of the work yourself, then this is probably not the right car for you. Taking them to a mechanic for most of the problems will get very expensive in a hurry.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmm. Sounds like what folks say about KTM's. I have a 950 Adventure that will always have a home in my garage. Are there any options I should look for or avoid? Years or models. I'm wanting to do a mild lift and add a winch. I love going off-roading in the mountains here in VA. Probably run some BFG Mud TA's.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Drive mine daily

Echo the previous post. These trucks need plenty of preventive maintenance and TLC. Read my signature for the things I've done in the past 18 months to mine.

I don't agree that they're particularly easy to work on - try changing a CPS or O2 sensor and you'll see what I mean. All the same, if you're mechanically inclined, you can take care of most maintenance. If you are not, have deep pockets.

I love my truck. I think I've got the major maintenance behind me. I drive it 25 miles or more each day.

DRW

Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a 92 F250. Bought 97 D1. Fixed up D1, taught daughter how to drive in F250, gave her D1 for high school / college vehicle. As F250 was no longer needed for parts runs for D1, sold it. Both needed similar things, radiator work, strange idle problems, wheel bearings. Simple to work on. D1 more comfortable. F250 easier to find junkyard parts. F250 had worse mpg (351 V8 - about 12 mpg).