New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hi D2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi D2 owner

As you see by my screen name, I like Buicks - and, of course, the Rover use of the motor is legendary.
I'm also into 4x4 stuff, and am an active member of a local Search and Rescue organization (and part of the 4x4 team).

So I own a bunch of 4x4s. I'll start with the stuff you don't care about - it gives context.
My normal, DD and SAR vehicle is a 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha (v8)
Name:  PA190055_zps6cf14823.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  2.13 MB
that I've beaten and scratched the mall right off it... and get a great deal of respect because it's pretty capable.

I also have an 83 Chev diesel truck that I've put a turbo on.... 25 mpg and I rarely get grief about it
Name:  P3030004_zps6ebd4759.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  2.07 MB

as you can see, I like things that their reputation conceals their true, sterling character

My wife does SAR as well, but she does so with one of these
Name:  PA100030.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  105.9 KB

As the dog fleet has expanded (I have an English Mastiff), she needed a vehicle that was more capable than her BMW 325xi wagon (manual, of course) and not a Hummer (she doesn't like mine.... it's a good thing )

So I bought this

the guy was absolutely certain the motor was toast - and I didn't care because my wife wants MPG and manual transmission.... so it's getting an Isuzu diesel and 5 speed transmission (with a spare 4:1 transfer case I have)

the motor was fine, it leaks oil, it leaks coolant from the intake (in 1000 miles, it hasn't lost enough to be below the fill line, oil, a quarter ever 500 miles)

As I swap motors for oil leaks (that C3 Corvette above is getting a 427 to replace the (small) oil leak).... this is well within my skills and temperament).

Anyway, hi from the Seattle area
SBG

Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have good taste!
Make sure you make a thread over on VM too of your diesel swap

Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette427sbc
You have good taste!
Make sure you make a thread over on VM too of your diesel swap
As do you

when I was driving age, my dad absolutely refused to let me have fast cars (he used to drag race in California - I presume he was a bit of a hooligan) - but he didn't have a problem with me and 4x4s (didn't understand them, but didn't actively discourage them).... thus, I've been a 4x4er longer than a hot-rodder

I'll be sure to post up on VM - I'm wondering if I know anyone in England who'd be close enough to check out the breaker's yard; if for no other reason than to say "Yes, the buyer may be 5000 miles away, but I'm not" - he could be honest as the day is long, but a bit of precaution is always a good thing (plus, I have a friend that I made "checking" a seller for someone in Australia...)