New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Hi from Park City, UT—and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Park City, UT—and some questions

Hello, I'm new to Land Rover. We just bought and Airstream trailer and neither of our current vehicles (Tesla Model X and Subaru Outback) can tow it. (Actually, the Tesla can, but the range reduction is so significant that it's just not practical.) I started doing some research for vehicles with the following criteria:
  • Tow capacity of >7,500 lbs.
  • Ground clearance > 9 inches
  • Not a truck or huge SUV (e.g. Tahoe, Suburban, etc.)
  • Luxury performance and interior
This brought me to the Land Rover brand. We have ordered a 2020 Defender from our local Land Rover dealership but were told that we may not take delivery until spring. We need something to tow our Airstream this summer and fall, so I started looking at used/late model Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports. Once I did look into these models, it became clear that they might be better choices than the Defender for us over the long term.

My plan now is to purchase a used Range Rover or Range Rover Sport, and see how we like it. If we're satisfied we'll keep it and cancel the Defender order. If we still want the Defender, we'll trade in the RR or RRS for it.

My question is this: how much has the reliability of Land Rovers improved for the most recent models, e.g. 2017-2019? Also, what does the "limited warranty" (7 years/100,000 miles) on certified pre-owned Land Rovers include and not include? There's a 2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE for sale at our local LR dealership that comes with this warranty.

Thanks, everyone!