New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Howdy, just bought a Rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 04:28 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy, just bought a Rover

Hey yall thought I would start with a post here.
Anyways I just bought a 2003 Disco 2 129,xxx miles on it, about 9 years ago I parted ways with my first Discovery a 2002 after ruining the engine.
I think $575 was an awesome deal interior and body is in pretty good shape but well like with most Rovers, it's engine is another matter, covered in oil as any rover I've ever seen.
I am going to be parting out the powertrain and some electronics and am going to do a diesel conversion (likely a 6.6 Dmax, though I'd prefer a 5.9 12v Cummins, it's just to heavy @ 1100lbs).
I've been reading on here the last few days about engine conversions and all and I'm aware the normal on people are doing is LS swapps, but I want a oil burner that I can make my own fuel for like my diesel trucks/buses.
Anyways back to my new toy, it does run and drive though I wouldn't drive it far all 4 tires are dry rotted. When I got it it had the cats hacked off so it's loud as can be and sounds like a mean big block chevy when I get on it, so funny. It was leaking some coolant which I fixed no problem.
Headgasket seems to not be blown, no blow by, water and oil aren't mixing and other than the valve covers leaking like mad it doesn't seem to leak anything else surprisingly.
I put some flex pipe back in where the cats were to hush it up. Crazy about everything works on it.
BUT out of all the veh I have wore out in life, my Land Rover was far better than any other stock 4x4 I've ever owned. Made me never want to own another joke jeep/fiat.

Anyways thanks for reading.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome to the forum Patrick. Good luck with the Disco 2.