New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Looking to buy a LR3/LR4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 03:50 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy a LR3/LR4

Hi guys!

I'm new here, glad to meet you all!

I'm planning to buy a Land Rover, I just love the way they look and feel, I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I might be able to do a lot of basic maintenance work.

I really don't know what to chose, an LR3 or an LR4 with the 2.7 liter diesel engine. The LR 4 looks more modern, has better features, is a bit more expensive but not so much, but at the same time I don't know how much the experience will be. I don't want the 3.0 SDV6 cause I heard a lot of horror stories about the crankshaft and that's a pretty expensive repair, one that I simply can't do by myself, and you never know how the previous owner took care of the car.

How's your experience with them in terms of maintenance with LR3/LR4 TDV6 ? What should I look for when buying a used LR3/LR4 ? What's the best millage that I should look for? I found a lot at around 250 000 km but I'm a bit worried about the turbo/ EGR and overall wear and tear on the mechanical side like the gearbox.

Does LR3 parts fit on LR4? Cause I can find a lot of LR3 with broken engine at a pretty low price and I could get one of those for spares parts. I found one really cheap that has some accessories too like a snorkel, roof rack, and a front protection from LR, but I don't know if those would fit on LR4.

I'm planning to use it more as a weekend type of car because I really don't enjoy commuting by car where I live. So longer journeys on and off road but not too much off road, and mostly better off road routes, nothing hard core like diving into a meter of mud and water.

Looking forward for your recommendations and your experience with LR3/LR4.

Thanks.