New Member Introduction Are you new to Land Rover Forums? WELCOME! Tell us about yourself! (This section is not for technical questions)

Looking at this vehicle tomorrow. any help would be great

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
When they talk about the driveshaft, they are speaking of the OE not having greasable u-joints, these tend to eventually self-destruct. If it happens when you are driving, you have the shaft banging around under the vehicle suddenly, this often knocks a hole in the transmission housing, you loose all the tranny fluid, the tranny is toast and has a big gaping hole in the side of it. It may also hit the Catalytic Converter and destroy it as well. Repair goes into the thousands of dollars.

Original DI had greasable u-joints on the drive shaft, DII did not. Replace the non-greasable with greasable to prevent the Auto Self DestructMode described above!!!!!!!!!

The 2004 also has the CDL feature doesn't it? That was deleted from the earlier DII's but was standard in the DI. In the DI, the linkages tend to freeze up if not shifted often. I don't know if the DII with CDL uses the same linkage or if it is better. Check yours out to see if the CDL actually engages, just don't do it on dry pavement.
Gotcha, Is there a particular brand that i should buy? I went to my local Mechanic who has handled all my cars for years now and he said that he can do the job easily for me, but i am unsure as to what Brand to use? IS there any that are better than the rest?

THanks in advance